SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE - Jan 20/21st ( Sunday/Monday) and Weather Prospects

paulastro

It looks like its a much better chance of being clear for me further north, so about 1.30am I'll head up the M6 past Lancaster to the Silverdale area near Carnforth in North Lancashire.  I phoned a friend up there and he said it forecast a frost up there later, and other weather web sites/apps indicate there is at least a chance of seeing something.  Hope so, its 75 miles each way :smile:.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, knobby said:

Clear in Essex ... So far ! 

Nice capture, knobby

13 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Clear in Newcastle ,a little milky----- hopefull at the mo,time will tell

Same here, clear, but fog beginning to form.....

Been playing at stacking jpegs off my tripod mounted Nikon DSLR + 200mm zoom....

2Moon2_lapl4_ap1_R6-3b.jpg.40ff9c135b634d63e632a76018e9389f.jpg

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Clear in Essex ... So far !

Let me know if it gets cloudy at yours as they're approaching from the north so will reach you first :grin:

Been tracking it for a while, just done a flip, pity it didn't start a couple of hours ago.

Dave

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Good luck with that Paul ?

Thank Alan.  Alas, checking now and the forecast for the area has changed considerably for the worse on every weather site apart from FLOs CO which is still looking good!  I probably wont go now though  and will stick it out here, anything's possible, but cloud cover here is estimated at 96% plus throughout!  At least I got a nice pic of the full moon earlier when trying my Olympus camera on my SW 72ED.  Looks likely that saving a miracle I better start going to the gym and eating more healthily so I'm good and fit for December 2028 :smile:.

Well, I'm very close to writing it off.  We have solid cloud still, and whilst it was whipping across the sky quite smartly a few hours back it seems all but stationary now.  There is a bit of drifting from the north west-ish, but no sign of any break in the cloud in that direction.  Nor any other, in fact.

James

I can understand your feelings James, but having said that over the years I've had some outrageous pieces of look observing hugely against the odds - as well as disappointments of course.  I'll look out until the end of totality, you never know for certain.  In the mean time I'm going to bed for an hour :smile:.

I really have no reason to get too distressed about it.  This would be my second full lunar eclipse in six months (though the Moon rose during totality for the first).  It would have been nice to see the entire thing from start to finish though.  I think however that bed is calling me as well.

James

Good weather here. Some ten minutes ago the umbra entered the disk of the Moon. There is a hint of a brownish tint to it. 

It's cold out, -5°C, and very still.

I'm using binoculars to get an extra wide view and I'm hoping for a deep red eclipse with plenty of stars around the Moon.

I grabbed 3 hours sleep, setting the alarm for 3:45. Got up and saw main eclipse had started so got dressed and took camera and tripod outside only to watch thick cloud roll over the umbral crescent moon before I could capture a single image...☹️ - typical.....

Archived