Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE - Jan 20/21st ( Sunday/Monday) and Weather Prospects

paulastro

I'm presuming most users of SGL will be aware of this, but just in case anyone has forgotten about it.............:smile:

Totality is in the early hours of Monday morning, 04.41 - 05.43, mid-eclipse at 05.13.

What people may not be aware of is that it's the last Total Lunar Eclipse visible from the UK until December 31st 2028!!!!!!!!!!!!   Now this may not be of concern if you're not getting on a bit, but it may be of more concern if you're a bit of an older codger like me.  :smile:  I've seen many Total Lunar Eclipses over the years, but would especially like to see this one - just in case I'm a little less nimble on my feet in 2028 :laugh2:.

I was prepared to drive at least 100 miles for this one if I could be certain of clear skies, but this is not how it's going to be - I think the best area looks to be parts of Wales, particularly the S or SW.  AccuWeather is at the moment forecasting around 50% cloud at the time of totality for my location, so I'm in with a reasonable chance if this is correct, thought I'll be rather on tenter hooks until I've bagged a view at least.

If I've missed something, and you live within 100 miles and you reckon you have a better chance of clear skies than me, please let me know ?

Good luck to everyone, it should be a good one for those of us blessed with some clear breaks. ?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, paulastro said:

What people may not be aware of is that it's the last Total Lunar Eclipse visible from the UK until December 31st 2028!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I didn't know that, so thanks for the heads up - I'll be in my mid 70s by then, so maybe an early alarm call should be set for this Monday....!! Weather is not looking that promising though and I wont be able to view from my obs as I have very high trees in that direction, but it might be worth setting up the camera with 200mm zoom....

Cheers, Geof

A couple of days ago the forecast for early Monday morning was clear for the entire period of the eclipse and I was planning to watch the entire thing.  Even told the guys I work with that I may well not be around that morning.  You can guess the forecast now though, can't you?

I'll probably have a bit of a late one tomorrow night, see how the weather is looking and take it from there.

James

11 hours ago, JamesF said:

A couple of days ago the forecast for early Monday morning was clear for the entire period of the eclipse and I was planning to watch the entire thing.  Even told the guys I work with that I may well not be around that morning.  You can guess the forecast now though, can't you?

I'll probably have a bit of a late one tomorrow night, see how the weather is looking and take it from there.

James

Same here.

Does anyone in the UK have a decent weather forecast for Monday morning ?
Was hoping to see the whole thing as do a time lapse ?

Currently raining in Florida, but cold front expected to move through fast then turn cold and clear. 

I've swapped work days, working today to have tomorrow off. My 4am to 1pm shift would have made me miss the most of it.

Really looking forward to watching it tonight.

I've taken the morning off to view and photograph the eclipse here in Cornwall, but the weather prospects are now less than ideal. Current forecasts:

• Met Office: clear until 5am and then partly cloudy.
  • Metcheck.com: 50-60% cloud, and increasing by the time of totality.
  • Clear Outside: 75% cloud by 4am; 98% by 5am.

Anyway, good luck, all!

Regards, Mike.

I seem to have 110% cloud cover here at the moment ! :rolleyes2:

"Clear Outside" is showing a reduction to around 30% cover for a 2 hour window in the early hours. I might still set and alarm clock and have a peek just in case.

4 minutes ago, John said:

I seem to have 110% cloud cover here at the moment ! :rolleyes2:

"Clear Outside" is showing a reduction to around 30% cover for a 2 hour window in the early hours. I might still set and alarm clock and have a peek just in case.

I might console myself with some scanning of the lunar poles this evening and then get up early to see what's going on.
We had a surprise clear evening for a few hours earlier in the week when forecasts said we were in clouds.
Brilliant sunshine at the mo'.

Weather prospects slim in W Yorkshire, but still an outside bet of getting a view, it won't take me long to get a quick snap and a look if a sliver of a clear patch passes over the Moon at the right time - worth the attempt.  I'll be up on the moors nearby where there is a lovely 360 degree vista.

The best prospect of seeing something, and most likely the whole thing by the look of it, is on the S coast,  E of Worthing all the way to Dover in Kent, and some miles in land along this track. The best area seems to be centred on Royal Tunbridge Wells.   If I was close (100 miles or less) I'd be there myself. 

Disclaimer:  I will NOT be held in any way responsible if people travel to this area and fail to see the event!  :smile:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map#?map=SignificantWeather&zoom=9&lon=0.36&lat=51.14&fcTime=1547996400

Best of luck everyone ?

Archived