SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi all you stargazers

phil18

I am a newbie who has always had an interest in the stars and especially our moon.

I live in the West Mids in the UK and looking for advice on my first telescope, I wont to get reaaly close to the moon craters and the stars too.

My scope would have to be able to take my Canon DSLR so I can do the odd photo too.

I dont have a great budget maybe £500 max, but dont mind going second hand for the right equipment.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

As for visual only I love this setup, Skywatcher 127 mak, it gives high power sharp views of the moon, it's just amazing what one can see through this little scope for the price. Not long ago this was unthinkable. Combine this setup with the Baader zoom 8-24mm eyepiece and you are ready to go.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-gti.html

For imaging, the mount is the most important part. Imaging can get quit expensive compared to visual . I would go with a small refractor 60-80mm aperture. You might need to go for second hand mount and refractor with your budget. Good luck!

Hi, Phil, and welcome to SGL.

As has already been stated, for AP the mount is the most essential bit ... & +1 for Making Every Photon Count (for DSO imaging, not so vital for the moon). I think you may be pushing it to get a good AP setup that will do both closeups of lunar craters with your DSLR and starfields for £500 - you might have to choose which way you most want to go and work towards that initially.

If the moon is your thing, you may find this of interest.

Enjoy the journey.

Archived