Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observatory essentials

Hi all,

i am just setting up my pulsar 2.2 dome, i have strip led lighting in it that changes from white to red lights , i am insulating the sides too, just advise please if poss on whether or not i need to have a heater or dehumidifier in there or both and do i need anything else ?? except some clear nights of coarse !!

once i finish it i have a meade 12" lx600  that i carnt wait to use, will have to go on tripod at first thou as 2 foot thick concrete base not hardened enough yet to rawbolt pier down, 

thanks kev 

From my own experience you will need a desiccant dehumidifier in there - especially if the concrete is still drying out.  Others say otherwise but the inside of my dome used to get soaked with condensation and the monitored humidity regularly got over 90% until I went for the dehumidifier.  It has a 2 litre tank which normally goes 4-5 days before it needs emptying, can occasionally be more often if very damp and foggy.

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

Also one of these is essential......

Snap! I've got one similar, Solera Reserve, Glenfidich, a perfect fit for the fire extinguisher bracket.
I'm not  particularly fond of Whisky, but I can nip this one  easily enough on a cold  winters night in the shed no problem, summer too......hic!

But in relation to venting sheds, this shed is bone dry inside,  still smells brand new and nothing has ever tarnished or  rusted, though I do get some condensate on  one  particular 25Ltr container so that drum now sits in a bowl.
I have always  encouraged good ventilation, but no vents on this shed,  its double glazed, sealed door and good quality T&G cladding.

I also have a plastic Keter shed, and have never seen any condensate in there. It has two louvred and denier (keeps the bugs out) covered vents, one top and bottom.

IMG_0260.JPG

At first hesitant about the extra expense of a dehumidifier in my pulsar 2.2 I wouldn't be without it now.  Bought the DD1 Simple from ecoair.org as recommended by other astro imagers and found them very helpful and efficient.  I equally agree with the second recommendation though mine is Laphroaig Triple Wood!

Annie

ok thanks all.

i will go with the dehumidifier, i have a couple but will look at the one most of you seem to be going for, no one seems to have a heater in, why ? 

i was advised to have one in there and on a night i am doing some observing etc turn it off an hour before and open foof to let area cool down and temperatures equalise, 

is this bad advice ?

cheers kev 

Archived