Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Turn Left At Orion alternatives

Having recently picked up our first scope through these forums one thing that was mentioned was picking up a copy of Turn Left at Orion. I note that the 5th edition is due for release shortly on Amazon (although FLO are shown having stock.) I was about to order before noticing that finder views are still inverted for this edition. My next purchase is likely to be the SW 9x50 RACI, so I'm guessing that I'll find it quite counter intuitive using a corrected image finder with this. I will still be using Sky Safari and Stellarium but I like the idea of having something of a guide of what to try and find, and how to do it.

Should I consider an alternative, and if which are the strongest contenders?

There’s nothing really quite like TLaO. There’s plenty of star atlases, general guides to the night sky (the Philips series sprints to mind etc) but nothing that quite sets the information out like TLaO does. 

It’s pretty much an essential buy...

I've spent a bit of coin on several books and have not come across anything that I use as much as TLAO. It has the perfect combination of information and graphics. Nothing compares. 

EDIT: And thanks for letting us know that there is a new edition about to release! I'll have to check it out and see what they've added. 

5 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Stephen James Omera has a series of books, , they are very good and very informative 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-James-OMeara/e/B001H6S87S

I shall check them out, thanks.

14 hours ago, SacRiker said:

I've spent a bit of coin on several books and have not come across anything that I use as much as TLAO. It has the perfect combination of information and graphics. Nothing compares. 

EDIT: And thanks for letting us know that there is a new edition about to release! I'll have to check it out and see what they've added. 

It was due for release on Amazon today. I'd pre-ordered but it's now shown out of stock, so who knows when it'll be released. I gather it's not the first time it's been delayed.

19 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

Much of the content of 'Turn Left at Orion' is available free on-line.

https://www.cambridge.org/turnleft

On 18/01/2019 at 20:11, lenscap said:

If you go to the TLAO website;    https://www.cambridge.org/turnleft

and click on the target you want to observe, you will be offered several scope/ finder views.

Choose "Binoculars - Northern Hemisphere" which will be the same view as your RACI Finder. (assuming you are in the N hemisphere)

Thanks both, I shall check them both out. I'm still planning to get a copy as it's less faff than taking some sort of screen outside but I'm sure that'll be useful.

5 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Stephen James Omera has a series of books, , they are very good and very informative 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephen-James-OMeara/e/B001H6S87S

I know what I'm about to write won't meet with universal approval.
I accept O'Meara is a skilled and experienced observer who observes from a very dark site but I find his writing style not to my taste, this is especially true in his "Hidden Treasures".

30 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

I know what I'm about to write won't meet with universal approval.
I accept O'Meara is a skilled and experienced observer who observes from a very dark site but I find his writing style not to my taste, this is especially true in his "Hidden Treasures".

iam not to fussy personally,has a few pictures and what constellation and coordinates, all you need really  ?

A good move on from TLaO is the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders (IGAW). Covering 50 constellations visible from mid Northern Hemisphere locations, it has excellent information on a wide range of targets, with good finder charts and reasonable images to show what you might expect to see.

Sample pages for Andromeda on Google Books

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ymt9nj_uPhwC&lpg=PA19&pg=PA66#v=onepage&q&f=false

I received a copy of TLaO for Christmas. Love it! Especially like the illustrations which give an idea of the size of the objectives you’re likely to see in your eyepiece (important if you’re expecting Hubble like images!!).

Archived