Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

djpaul

Televue powermate or explore scientific focal extender.

Looking for people's thoughts on televues 2 inch x2 powermate vs explore scientific 2 inch x2 focal extender.

I have only the 2.5x Powermate so can’t compare anything. But my PM rocks! ?

I  have got the ES 2" 2x focal extender but do not have the TV powermate so cannot compare, but I have found it to be an excellent addition to my collection as it gives nice and sharp images when in use with no apparent lose of light due to more glass and very well built ( but it makes it a little heavy ).

I have read that the performance of the ES focal extender  is very  close to a TV powermate ( the TV is said to be slightly better performing ) but it is a lot cheaper and when I was looking for a barlow / focal extender and wanted one that did not change the eye relief, I could not warrant the extra cost of the TV powermate as it is at least a third more expensive than the ES focal extender and as I had read it was not a third better performing.

I have compared the 1.25" 2x ES Telextender with a 1.25" 2.5x Powermate and the difference was very slight indeed to be honest. I guess it's the same as is being found quite often these days ES have got within a few % of the Tele Vue equivalent performance for quite a lot less money.

While I've not used the 2 inch ES Telextenders I can't see any reason why they would not mirror this situation.

You can't mix ES products with TV in the eyepiece case though - they squabble when you close the lid ! :wink:

• Haha 2

Hi John

I think it may have been you I spoke with a few days ago about a 2 inch x2 powermate. ?

My main usage would be with my william optics 73mm zenithstar and dslr firstly for lunar pics.