SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polymer cleaning kits?

Guest chaz2b

I’m going to start this here as it’s going to be seen by , hopefully, a lot of gazers.

Has anyone used a Polymer cleaning kit for their optics? And if so, what results did you get? Was it safe to use on the reflective coatings?

I have had a look on YouTube for Proffesional cleaning solutions,( pun unintended), and after seeing the Polymer treatment was still unsure as to its suitability with our optics.

chaz

I've used it on filters and it works really well - i am fairly sure that I have seen USP collodion or similar used on front silvered mirrors and again it works well, though unsure as to how it may affect the aluminium coat for older mirrors.

Of course, collodion is not the easiest thing to get hold of, the ether is not the nicest to work with, and storage can become problematic as ether has the tendency to form explosive peroxides and explosive vapour mixtures. Polymer solutions are much safer, but not cheap in quantity! 

For lenses, I stick with isopropyl alcohol, lab grade cotton wool, and distilled water. 

CO2 ext. !!!!!

I would thought such a sudden and severe temperature change would have the potential to cause irrepairable damage to a mirror.  My grandmother once shattered a thick lead crystal vase by bringing in into a warm louge from an unheated winter conservatory!!

1 minute ago, JOC said:

CO2 ext. !!!!!

I would thought such a sudden and severe temperature change would have the potential to cause irrepairable damage to a mirror.  My grandmother once shattered a thick lead crystal vase by bringing in into a warm louge from an unheated winter conservatory!!

I have seen it used in many videos, perhaps its much safer on large scopes due to the "thermal mass" of the mirror.

Alan

8 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I have seen it used in many videos, perhaps its much safer on large scopes due to the "thermal mass" of the mirror.

Possibly, though the bigger the mirror, the more costly the accident if something did go wrong.  Maybe the owners of them know more than me, but I don't know if I'd risk it.  The CO2 in an extinguisher is v. Cold!

Given the problems with dew I am often surprised that astronomers don't try mirrors with anti fogging treatments.  When I ski I have been really amazed at the streak free finish you get by applying just a spot dish detergent to the inside of goggle lenses and then literally polishing them with a dry soft cloth to a high and streak free shine.  The finish you end up with is stunning and it completely solves the fogging issue on the goggle lenses by the faint residue busting the surface residue when the water vapour decides to fall out of air onto a convenient surface.  Such a concept is not a million miles away from that mentioned above

Thank you for your replies, some solutions to try out on some cheap eyepieces.

A blast , with CO2 ,is the operative word! I’ll wait till I have a fire before I try that one.

I think I have some of that ‘special ‘ shampoo, so will give it a go later.

lately I’ve been using LOGIK TV screen cleaner on my Orion 80 rich field scope with good results, no streaking or any damage to the coatings.

chaz

Archived