Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First image from used Atik 383L+ - HELP!!

rubecula

Oh you wonderful people, thanks again.  geordie85 how did you guess that the curves graph was upside down?  I spotted that later but was too embarassed to say so.  Selecting the Light 0 - 255 button turns it back to the way I'm used to using it.

vlaiv - thanks for your input on using DSS.

Olly, when I've got a few more images to play with I'll try AstroArt.

Thanks to all of you who pointed out that the first sub showed that things weren't as bad as I feared.  I'll be creating flats when I work out how to hang a light panel in the observatory.

I just love this forum

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selecting the Light 0 - 255 button turns it back to the way I'm used to using it.

Well I learnt something there, as I have to lift the curve in coloured images, but the opposite way with mono images and I much prefer it the other way, try as I might I could never find out how to reverse it.   Also why does my CS3 photoshop switch opposite ways depending on whether the image is in colour or mono?

Carole 

8 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Not necessarily. This depends on how you've set up your Curves menu. Every Ps tutorial I've ever seen in video or paper format has it set up like this:

Ha%20First%20Curve.-XL.jpg

Looking at 'Curve Display Options' you can see it's set to Light. That's why a 'lift' in Curves is a lift on the screen. It makes no difference really but everyone I've met sets it up this way out of habit. I wonder what Australians do?

:icon_mrgreen:lly

I didn't know having "light 0-255" set the curves this way. Its set to "pigment/ink" by default on my version of photoshop 

2 hours ago, rubecula said:

Oh you wonderful people, thanks again.  geordie85 how did you guess that the curves graph was upside down?  I spotted that later but was too embarassed to say so.  Selecting the Light 0 - 255 button turns it back to the way I'm used to using it.

vlaiv - thanks for your input on using DSS.

Olly, when I've got a few more images to play with I'll try AstroArt.

Thanks to all of you who pointed out that the first sub showed that things weren't as bad as I feared.  I'll be creating flats when I work out how to hang a light panel in the observatory.

I just love this forum

I guessed this because I done the same thing when I first started imaging with my Atik 383L 

4 hours ago, carastro said:

Well I learnt something there, as I have to lift the curve in coloured images, but the opposite way with mono images and I much prefer it the other way, try as I might I could never find out how to reverse it.   Also why does my CS3 photoshop switch opposite ways depending on whether the image is in colour of mono?

Carole 

Not a clue, Carole, but it's an instant fix and I'm too old to start doing curves upside down! My machine seems to select the light/dark thing at random so I tell it to behave in my best ex-schoolteacher voice. And this, let me tell you, is a MONSTER machine of giddying expense which really should know better!

:icon_mrgreen:lly

13 hours ago, carastro said:

Well I learnt something there, as I have to lift the curve in coloured images, but the opposite way with mono images and I much prefer it the other way, try as I might I could never find out how to reverse it.   Also why does my CS3 photoshop switch opposite ways depending on whether the image is in colour or mono?

Carole 

There should be a drop-down some where in the curves window that changes one to other.
Curve display options may be.
I only have PS CC and it has obvious options to click on in the curves window.

RGB is additive color which is light-based, graph defaults to light.

CMYK/grayscale are subtractive color ink-based, graph defaults to pigment/ink.

Archived