Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep20_banner.thumb.jpg.c34e90166f1f5aa93f5211765a962cda.jpg

rhw1967

Evostar 120ED Diagonal

Thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I went for the 2"  Tele Vue with 1.25" adapter ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rhw1967 said:

Thanks for all the thoughts, suggestions and advice guys, I really appreciate it.

I went for the 2"  Tele Vue with 1.25" adapter ?

Good choice ?..

..But if you think TV diagonals are expensive, wait til you look at their eyepieces!:eek::eek:?.

And there is MUCH more competition in that market, with some fabulous performers from a number of brands.

Enjoy your diagonal!

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Good choice ?..

..But if you think TV diagonals are expensive, wait til you look at their eyepieces!:eek::eek:?.

And there is MUCH more competition in that market, with some fabulous performers from a number of brands.

Enjoy your diagonal!

Dave

Oh yes, have been having a little look at them. Me, I have no issue spending the money, sadly it's the wrath of the Mrs that I have to watch out for ? :( 

Have been having a look around at the second hand market and have a few nice EPs ( Four ES 82 degree EPs, Baader IV Zoom, Vixen HR 2.4 mm) but am certainly going to keep my eyes open for any TV EPs that pop up. What I will do, when the Mrs gives me grief about money spent on a second hand TV EP, I'll point out to her how much they WOULD have cost brand new, and that I'm saving money.. that's SURE to work !!! ? That's the rationale she uses me when she blows the credit card in sales.. haha

Cheers

Richard

• Haha 1

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 18:45, rhw1967 said:

Prism or Mirror diagonal ? I looked in the other thread about this but, unless I missed an posts, couldn't see anything definitive for observing as to the best to use.

If the 120ED needed a prism diagonal Sky-Watcher would make one.

I have bought a fair few secondhand Televue ethos and nagler eyepieces.

I look at it this way.

If I ever need the money I would probably loose nothing on what I ha ve paid for them.

I fact some of the deals I have made were ridiculously cheap compared to buying brand new ones.

• Like 2

Synta(Sky-Watcher, Celestron, Orion of California, Saxon) does make a 1.25" star-prism, the Celestron #94115-A, and that's about as good as they can do.  Mirrors are much easier for Synta to produce, especially in the 2" format, and are therefore more profitable.  

• Like 1

The one that comes with it is perfectly fine. I had better diagonals build-wise, but I found the stock SW quite good. 

I use an Explore Scientific 2" Dielectric with an Equinox version of the 120. I believe the Optistar is a considerably cheaper rebadged, but identical, diagonal.

• Like 2