SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Evostar 120ED Diagonal

Good afternoon all.

Hope everyone has had an awesome day and is looking forward to a cloud free weekend ??

So, looking at 2" diagonals for my 120ED. Anyone have any recommendations please ? Use my scope for observing and use 2" and 1.25" EPs so would need to have an adapter with it.

Thanks in advance.

Richard.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the recommendations guys, much appreciated. 

Seeing your recommendations brings up another question. Prism or Mirror diagonal ? I looked in the other thread about this but, unless I missed an posts, couldn't see anything definitive for observing as to the best to use.

I also use a televue everbrite on my 120ed. 

I think the everbrite is cnc machined from a solid block of metal rather than individual parts.

And I did notice a huge difference in build quality over the stock diagonal that came with the scope.

3 minutes ago, djpaul said:

I also use a televue everbrite on my 120ed. 

I think the everbrite is cnc machined from a solid block of metal rather than individual parts.

And I did notice a huge difference in build quality over the stock diagonal that came with the scope.

Having googled these from both your and John's recommendations, I am presented with different versions and prices.... Haha

Sorry to sound like a pain, but do you have a link to the one you have ? 

Cheers

10 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, much appreciated. 

Seeing your recommendations brings up another question. Prism or Mirror diagonal ? I looked in the other thread about this but, unless I missed an posts, couldn't see anything definitive for observing as to the best to use.

For the F/7.5 120mm I've stuck to mirrors. For my  100mm F/9 Tak I use a Baader Zeiss Prism.

I've not experimented with using the prism in the 120 though so it might be fine. I tend to use 2" eyepieces with the 120 more though (the Baader / Zeiss is configured as a 1.25").

My best, best mirror diagonal is an Astro Physics Maxbright but that is reserved for the 130mm triplet.

This is the type of TV Everbright that I use:

1599681722_tvEverbriteReducer.jpg.d14b9e43144ecd011d544a5ac024bd74.jpg

There is an Enhanced Aluminum version as well which I have a couple of. They seem to work very well too - transmission is 96% vs 99% but my old eyes cant see that magic 3% difference but every little helps I guess :rolleyes2:

The dielectric coatings are reputed to be more hardwearing and longer lasting than aluminum.

Great, thanks again guys. The thing I am seeing with the Tele Vue is that it comes in a couple of models, 2" or 1.25".. or is that me reading it wrong  ? If I am reading it correctly, is there an adapter I can get for the 2" model at all ?

1 minute ago, djpaul said:

Lol. That's the standard thing most do. 

Although my partner has a horse that costs more than my hobby. 

So I'm always upfront with cost of kit.?

Mine has expensive hobbies too.. example she purchased a special edition Mont Blanc pen plus the special edition case just to do crosswords !!!???!!! However, as normal, different rules apply when it comes to me buying Astronomy stuff :D :D :D :D 

All kidding aside am always upfront with my spends, I just have to prepare myself for her wrath when I tell her about my purchases... haha

Given the focal-ratio, f/7.5, you could make good use of a star-prism diagonal...

https://www.altairastro.com/Altair-2inch-Positive-Lock-90-Degree-Prism-Diagonal.html

That one should be the same as this one...

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/optical-accessories/stardiagonal-mirror--prism/apm-2-inch-diagonalprism-fast-lock-ultra-broadband-coating.html

I don't know how well it would play, however, with 2" oculars of the longest focal-lengths, 32mm and longer.

Personally Richard, I would avoid the Sky watcher diagonal. I've had a couple and on both the 2 inch nosepiece (the bit that goes into scope focuser tube) would work loose from the main body of the diagonal far too easily. 

You can't go wrong with the Tele Vue, and both enhanced and dielectric work very well ( like John I can't see the difference).

I myself mainly use a Baader prism (1.25"), but for 2" viewing I use a William Optics Durabright 2" dielectric which comes with a 1.25" adapter and is very nicely built.  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/william-optics-2-dielectric-diagonal.html

If you buy new, use a reputable dealer such as FLO and if you get any problems at all they will sort it out for you, whichever brand you choose?.

Good luck,

Dave

I find prisms work better than diagonals in my refractors.

I use a Badder/Zeiss prism - it gives superbly sharp, high contrast views. No diagonal under £100 I used could match it , perhaps a slightly unfair comparison ? however top end diagonals may give it a run for it’s money.

Archived