Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Northern Trifid (NGC1579)

alan4908

NGC1579, better known as the Northern Trifid, is located in Perseus and is about 2100 light years away.  There's lots of dust around this region and the starlight reflects this to produce blue reflection regions. The red glow is created by dust scattering and the subsequent reddening of the light from an embedded young and massive star located within the nebula.

I was a little surprised to find that my automated set up had been slowly gathering data since mid November -  I guess this demonstrates how poor the UK weather has been of late. Anyway, 2 months later, I finally present my first attempt at an LRGB image with the Ha blend into the red channel.  :happy11:

The image was taken with my Esprit 150 and represents about 18 hours integration time.

Alan

664111863_17.Final.thumb.jpg.3dd4f0c42412e1d1a52a91d325951546.jpg

L:23, R:15, G:15, B:15, x 600s, Ha: 13 x 1800s, DARKS: 30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C. 

Lovely image well done.

This is on my To Do list, but I really need to get to a dark site to take it as I live in Bortle 8.

I see you live in East Sussex, our dark site is in East Sussex, just below Bewl Water. 

Carole 

16 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Alan,

What a great image. And you are spot on with the comment about the weather ? 

Steve

Thanks Steve - yes, the UK weather is definitely not optimal for astro imaging, which is the main reason I choose to construct an automated set up to try to overcome this issue (I also enjoy my sleep :happy11:).

16 hours ago, carastro said:

Lovely image well done.

This is on my To Do list, but I really need to get to a dark site to take it as I live in Bortle 8.

I see you live in East Sussex, our dark site is in East Sussex, just below Bewl Water. 

Carole 

Thanks Carole -parts of East Sussex are quite dark and I'm somewhat fortunately to live in an area that is quite dark (no street lights etc) - as you say, for this particular object, you do really need access to a site that is reasonably dark. 

16 hours ago, Brian28 said:

Well my list of targets is getting longer thanks to your gallery Alan , but the amount of clearnights seems to be getting shorter ! 

Another stunning image ..  ?

Thanks ! :hello:

13 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a fine image Alan.

Thanks for the complement Richard.

Alan 

Archived