SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First system - off the shelf or component

I just disinterred this my hello thread, so apologies if you have already read it.

The more I read and query, a little clearer things become, I think .. with some more questions:

For my interest of planets, stars and deep space I need 2 telescopes (to start with), a general workhorse catadioptric of good aperture >=8 inch (£ pricey), and a more dedicated reflector for deep space (£not too bad).

Both I believe need a goto mount to start exploring, as well as dew systems - do these negate the issue more or less completely, ie reduce the cooling time radically or completely?

In the interests of economy would a single tripod and goto mount suffice for both telescopes (not observing at the same time), of better quality than those dedicated into a packaged goto eg Nexstar Evolution?

Any recommendations on tripod and mount, my total budget is £2k, with around £1k on a SCT, and any change on dew system, and essential eye pieces, filters, and so on.

SCT thoughts on aperture and brand relative quality would also be handy, such as could a 6 inch be viable, or >=8 inch advised? it's a little bewildering, as a starter I thought that the Celestion (which seems to have a good name) C8 XLT tube at just over £1k might serve as a starting point.

I assume that if all bought through a single outlet, that they could be engaged to do the initial set-up of such a mixed system?

Any advice gratefully received ..

I think a newtonian can do a great job on the planets, stars and deep space. When I moved from an 8 inch SCT to an 8 inch dobsonian I was rather surprised that the dobsonian put up at least as good planetary views as the SCT.

So I'm not sure I agree that you need two scopes.

I do not think you need more than one telescope for your stated aims.  For deep space I advise at least 8" aperture, which comes in budget regardless of whether you get a SCT or the cheapest Newtonian.

Why not look at an 8" SCT packaged with an alt-azimuth GoTo mount? This would be within budget, depending what exact model you go for, and fairly portable for the aperture.  A Newtonian would be cheaper, but less portable (etc) and possibly less easy to manage.

People tend to recommend the model they've got, but I would not say "No" to a Celestron Nexstar Evo 8".  ?  The Celestron XLT SCTs are good, but with the mounts you get what you pay for - the 6/8 SE is a budget mount compared with the Evolution and others. 

47 minutes ago, docbaker said:

Thanks John

The intention is to take it by car regularly to the south of France, so compactness and luggability are at a premium, hence my preference for an sct.

Flextube dobsonians don't take up much room in a car and come in GOTO and non-GOTO flavours.

Archived