SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MY Q is in the reply (for some reason the question box wont let me paste. please read second reply for the question. TY

I HAVE POSTED THE ORIGINAL QUESTION HERE BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON IT WILL NOT SHOW IN THE QUESTION BOX, IT DOES SHOW IN THE REPLY THOUGH.  eVERYTHING BELOW IS WHAT I ORIGINALLY WANTED TO ASK BUT COULDN'T THANK YOU.

I have just got a second hand Astromaster 130EQ. I want to say that i have collimated scopes before without the use of a laser but in this case i have 2 questions as this is so far out i cant see what i am looking at half the time. So hopefully you can help, thank you.

Info about the first problem
The secondary mirror fixing screw that hold the mirror and the collimation allen key bolts were so loose the secondary mirror had rolled facing the bottom of the OTE. In every other case the holding screw never needed touching and all i had to do were make small adjustments with an allen key, no screwdriver was needed. So this case is a whole different scale then any other collimation i have ever needed to do. You probably all know that i need to get the center of the eyepiece in line with the center of the mirror before can move on with this step. 

Question 1
What is the best way to do this, shall i just eye it for now? (i have seen people measuring to the center of the eyepiece and then do the same with mirror but then i still dont know if the mirror is facing me directly.)

Info about the second problem
Every other time i have collimated a scope the mirror and scope were very low quality and just used for practice basically. The old scopes were used to see if i wanted to go further into this hobby which i definitely do. Any how the old scopes had a flat mirror and i could find the center by placing the mirror on paper and tracing a circle template. The thing is this mirror is concaved so any template iswill have to be pushed into the vurve (i think).

Question 2
So how can i center the mirror without placing it face down on a piece of paper which cant be a good thing?

Thank you. I hope i have not gone on to much, thank you for your patience in reading a long winded post.

3 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The reason why the text did not appear is because you probably copied and pasted it from another source and carried over the original formatting ie black text. The black text would not show on a black background.

Thanks that is the problem yes, any ideas on the questions though? Thanks

Archived