Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some people...

emadmoussa

The other day, someone on ABS was looking for an item, I happened to have it and I sent it over to him for free. I think it cost about £25 second hand. 

Coincidently, I try to buy an item that he (the same person) happened to have, but he won't even drop the £4 shipping fees.  As they say, scratch my back and I'll kick you in the face! 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I point out one subtle detail (might not be the most popular view, but still I find some value in it):

You say you gave that item for free - meaning "nothing in return". I do believe that gratitude is wonderful human quality, but if you give something without wanting anything in return (and I do think it is also beautiful human quality to give for free) - don't feel bad/cheated if that is exactly what you get.

7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

May I point out one subtle detail (might not be the most popular view, but still I find some value in it):

You say you gave that item for free - meaning "nothing in return". I do believe that gratitude is wonderful human quality, but if you give something without wanting anything in return (and I do think it is also beautiful human quality to give for free) - don't feel bad/cheated if that is exactly what you get.

I tend to do what I believe is right not expecting anything in return.  I'm just shocked that I still get shocked when some people show very little regard to basic human decency. 

I'm currently trying to sell my Pentax binoculars for what I think is a very fair price. I've had two replies asking if they were still for sale to which I politely gave an affirmative. No reply, not a "sorry, I'm no longer interested' which would have been fine. I then had some very positive interest, could collect, but then  offered me 2/3 rds the asking price. I try to be polite and fair but some people push it.

(I should also point out that I've had a positive reply from a SGL member but it didn 't work out for mutually agreed reasons and thats fine)

6 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I'm currently trying to sell my Pentax binoculars for what I think is a very fair price. I've had two replies asking if they were still for sale two which I politely gave an affirmative. No reply, not a "sorry, I'm no longer interested' which would have been fine. I then had some very positive interest, could collect, but then  offered me 2/3 rds the asking price. I try to polite and fair but some people push it.

Oh, had those...many times. 

It's becoming like the rough town of the internet, aka, Gumtree. Sometimes, you receive offers that make your blood boil. I recall my e-bike was for sale for £950 and someone offered £400. And, as an incentive, he was going to 'collect today.' It isn't always about money for them, just opportunism. 

7 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

I tend to do what I believe is right not expecting anything in return.  I'm just shocked that I still get shocked when some people show very little regard to basic human decency. 

I did not intend my post to be judgemental, so sorry if it sounded that way. I just wanted to offer a point of view that might help you not feel bad about what happened.

17 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

That's pretty poor to be fair. I'd not be surprised if the item you gave him is not for sale soon at the market value.

That actually reminded me of a 12mm t2 Nagler that i put up for sale here at a very good price of under £ 100,expecting the buyer would have love the eyepiece as i had,only to find it up for sale 2 days later at double the price from a well known dealer who advertises on abs,s main page.Business is business,but i felt cheated that it wasnt a fellow observer bought it.

Just now, vlaiv said:

I did not intend my post to be judgemental, so sorry if it sounded that way. I just wanted to offer a point of view that might help you not feel bad about what happened.

Didn't it take that way. Don't worry! I completely see your point. 

Yes, some people have a dis-connect when it comes to manners and general humanity.

I tend to always look behind me when going through a door, just in case there is somebody following and you don't want to let the door shut into them....err... courtesy I think it's called.

Today, in a corridor, I did exactly this.  Person behind said 'thanks' , then overtook me  (pipping me to the next door by about 0.5 seconds)...... only to let it shut in my face.

People !!!!!!    .....   I said something beginning with 't'......... and it wasn't 'thanks'.

It does seem that ignorance and selfishness that was once a preserve of social media is creeping out into everyday life, it's a sad indictment!

As an example, I was in a supermarket on Saturday with the wife and the 8 month old.  Little William accidently dropped his comfort blanket/teddy on the floor, which I without thinking bent to pick it up.  However at the same time the woman, who was stationary looking at yogurts had decided to move off, accept I was then blocking her way for all of 2 seconds.  I was actually just about to apologise (pet hate of mine is abrupt stoppers in the supermarket!) when not only did she tut, and role her eyes at me she said, "your in my way, he (referring to an 8 month old) shouldn't be messing about when it's busy like this"...  

Usually I'd hold my council outside of work (construction, some of the conversations can get "over exciting") however this time I decided against it..  I know it's not big and it's not clever... sticks and stones and all that..  (it did feel big and clever though!) 

I just can't believe that's where we are with things... and by the look on the wife's face, I did the lady a big favour.. A BIG FAVOUR!

Emad, great to see the generosity, sad to see the concept of pay it forward is lost on some people..

Ta

Fozzie

This world feels often like it has lost all decency and kindness, so much arrogance, rudeness and lack of thinking of others, most of the time.
I am a believer in give what you would want to receive in manners that is.

As to the OP comment,
yes a simple I could send it postage free if you pay for the item would have been decent, but we are all different in this mad world.

Many years ago when everything was monochrome I responded to a "help me" enquiry regarding a small astronomical component that was broken. It was a small job for me to fix so no charge, not even return postage. A few weeks later, a badly wrapped parcel was received from the same person with a number of items that also needed fixing let alone extra issues due to the poor packaging. Feeling sorry for the sender I duly sorted things out, again no charge. Not long after, reading through "Exchange & Mart" what did I see but the same items up for sale advertised as in excellent condition. Quick end to any further "help" for that person.   ☹️

Had a similar experience with an SGL member but I shall save his blushes as he's a very nice guy, I guess it's just your outlook on life.

My son' outlook is entirely mercenary and he's always telling me that if I'd charged everybody top price when I was working I'd be a lot better off now.

Personally I give lots of stuff away rather than have it hanging around unused and gathering dust.

Dave :angel4::angel13:

There's an old Chinese proverb: Fight fire with fire.

Do unto others as they have done unto you
But what in the hell is this world coming to?
Blow the universe into nothingness
Nuclear warfare shall lay us to rest
Fight fire with fire
Ending is near
Fight fire with fire
Bursting with fear
We shall die
Time is like a fuse, short and burning fast
Armageddon is here, like said in the past
Fight fire with fire
Ending is near
Fight fire with fire
Bursting with fear
Soon to fill our lungs the hot winds of death
The gods are laughing, so take your last breath
Fight fire

Sorry, wait that's a Metallica song.

I myself see ABS much like ebay. It's a very good site and (touch wood) I have had no issue buying or selling bits and bobs there. But it's a buy sell site in my eyes. However I do always check the wanted section here and if someone wanted a low cost item that I am either no using or have multiples then I would happy help out for free. There have been a few occasion when a kind member from this site has helped me out and I think that is the way we should be as humans.

Just to dribble on a bit more, only recently I was contacted by an elderly local couple wanting to sell some astro gear from a late relative. I had a look and could have purchased to lot for about £600. I had to explain to them that there was around £1500 worth of kit there so helped them sell it rather than take advantage.

In reality, if you sell or give something away, the property becomes the new owner's. That said, if e.g. I have been given things for my school astronomy club (which I have been on several occasions, most often kind SGL members) on a free / donated basis and then decided to sell them for personal gain this would be out of order morally in my book. OK I could sell them to then buy different gear for the club but that's a different thing. I have also given stuff away that came to me on a free basis which is right and proper as far as I am concerned. Some people would agree, some call me a mug but I'd sooner be me.

I think if you take something for free for a reason and then the reasons/circumstances change you should at least let the original seller know I think. I. the past, I have given refunds when gear does not arrive and taken a loss. On the two occasions this has happened, the gear has turned up back at my house and the original seller has bought them again LOL.

Each person should adopt their own morality I suppose.

I get fed up with buyers these days, they always want to knock you down.  I sold a non astro item this morning that I advertised for £6 and I was offered £5.  Honestly.  Made them wait because two other people said they were interested.  One changed their mind and the other failed to respond.  They are either time wasters or just have to get a bargain.  

Likewise my camera I have up for sale, I have had some ridiculous offers, all of which I have declined.   I'd rather not sell it than let it go for a stupid price.

Carole 

Archived