SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

17th Jan 19.

Ed in UK

Managed to get out last night for a session and was hoping to spend some time in Auriga looking for clusters that I have listed brighter than magnitude 8 on SS6.

Sky was pretty poor with high level cloud being luminated by the moon making only the brightest of stars visbile. With the naked eye I could just make out Polaris and Orions belt.

I started by aiming my scope at Altinak and dropped down to Sigma Orionis. Through the scope I could see A/B, D & E with Struve 761 just visible. I increased magnification from 25mm ( x36 ) through to 18mm  (X50 ) then upto 12mm ( x75 ). At 12mm  everything became quite washed out and blurry making it quite difficult to get a decent focus.

I decided not to try for the clusters but to wait for better conditions. 

I moved onto Sirius, Castor and Pollux, but all appeared as milky stars at 25mm ( x36 ) so decided to call it at night.

Hopefully next time I'll be able to go cluster spotting in Auriga!!!

Yes, the next couple of weeks after the moon starts waning are going to be the best of the winter. A clear icy cold snap in late January gives spectacularly transparent skies (here at least). It's truly Orion time. I'm starting to get excited.

Archived