SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Horsehead and Flame in Ha/OIII

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

First time I've ever gone after these 2 targets - managed to get them in the field of view on my ZS66.

This is a first cut processing the data - 10 minutes of Ha and OIII - 2 subs each.

10166_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Pretty please with the result so far.... But gotta go to bed SOON! LOL

Richie

Thanks Guys...

I ended up taking 4 x Ha and 4 x OIII early this morning. I've been processing since I woke up today - so not long :help:

Here is the latest result:

10179_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The image was shot with my SXV-H9 through the Williams Optics ZS66 using Ha and OIII. I captured 4 x 10 minutes through both filters, so a total of 80 minutes of data. Ha was mapped to Red and Luminance, OIII to Green and Blue.

I am very happy with this :D

Cheers,

Richie

Funny how you were up at that hour, eh? Bet there wasn't anyone stupid enough to be keeping you company?

:D

<edit>Oh, by the way, great image - was that the one I processed? Still looks a bit noisy, I'm sure you'll refine it - the Ha data looked excellent anyway.<edit>

See ya again soon mate,

Iain

Jeeezus! Did you warp home Iain? You only left here at 11:45!!!

Yeah - going to bed early and leaving me to captures the subs! You just needed more chocolate to keep you awake :lol:

I will probably leave it like that - I've learnt to my cost that reprocessing just seems to make the image worse - and next time work on capturing more data.... Unless someone knows of a way to enhance it further? I've already tightened up the Luminance layer by deconvolving it, which really sharpened up the image.

What amazes me is we had the (real) fire on all night, and the target swung right over the chimney during the capture run - It didn't seem to make a jot of difference on the exposures though!

Catch you soon.... Thanks for coming over :help: Lets hope next time the :D aren't quite so much in evidence!

Richie

Hi Richie,

I must have missed this on my last swipe. As you have used just Ha and OII I assume that you have 'synthesised' the third channel? Or used the OIII for both blue and green channels.

There is some nice data in here but I suspect that the conditions were quite damp as you appear to have suffered from what half my images suffer from - star halos caused by moisture! However, the narrowband images have collected some good detail so you should be pleased with this image.

If you did literally use the OIII channel for both blue and green channels, it would be interesting to see what Noel Carboni's Tools would make of synthesising the green from the other two.

I gave that a try - using that tool seems to work sporadically for me for some reason - I am obviously not doing something right!!

Anyway - heres the reprocessed version using the tool to generate green from the Ha (red) and OIII (blue)...

I think I quite like it - it feels alot more dramatic to me - what do you reckon?

10184_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Interesting result, Ritchie - it looks more like a 'Hubble Palette' image now which I guess was to be expected as two of the components are attributed the same way that the Hubble ones are and the synthesised channel will be at least part way there I suspect.

Archived