Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Eclipse 21st January 19

Fozzie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not having the luxury of being able to stay up all night I set an alarm for 0530. Charged batteries for the old canon Eos 5D and dug out the 70-200mm f2.8, cable release and tripod. Got up 0520, so decided to take a look... "OMG IT'S CLEAR!"

Obviously I had a problem with neighbour's floodlight being triggered by his steam vent!

I did manage to get a few pictures though... will post them up later when I've got them off the card.

Alarm triggered my daily heart attack (a bit earlier today of course) at 0400 - I looked out the window without getting up and, of course I'm ashamed to say it, but......

......I was quietly happy to see it was cloudy. ?

I've let SGL down ?, I've let amateur astronomy down ?, and most importantly....... I let myself down ?

Och! Who am I kiddin?! I loved stayin in bed and I'm not EVEN sorry LOL! ?

Hope the rest of you got some great pictures for us to see later ?

David

1 minute ago, David_L said:

Alarm triggered my daily heart attack (a bit earlier today of course) at 0400 - I looked out the window without getting up and, of course I'm ashamed to say it, but......

......I was quietly happy to see it was cloudy. ?

I've let SGL down ?, I've let amateur astronomy down ?, and most importantly....... I let myself down ?

Och! Who am I kiddin?! I loved stayin in bed and I'm not EVEN sorry LOL! ?

Hope the rest of you got some great pictures for us to see later ?

David

Thanks David 

Talking of cloud - I had a look at 0630 and it had clouded up here. Truly a case of timing! ?

And yes, I'm guilty of your sin of just giving in to creature comforts of a warm room or bed.

On 17 January 2019 at 16:25, Stu said:

Cool!!

I think at least a couple of us will head to our local meet up point if it looks clear. I've no more time off until Jan, so it will be a hard core up at 2.30 ish and then straight into the office afterwards! Might have to have a few expressos to keep me going, normally drink decaf tea!!

"Expressos"? You really need to watch the Mitchell & Webb "Grammar Nazi" sketch!  ?

It's on YouTube 

21 minutes ago, reezeh said:

"Expressos"? You really need to watch the Mitchell & Webb "Grammar Nazi" sketch!  ?

It's on YouTube 

Tee hee, I'm not an espresso drinker so do excuse my ignorance ;)

I woke at about 4am and it was cloudy - the clouds were shining quite brightly but seemed less bright than earlier in the night so I assume the eclipse had begun.  I went back to sleep and woke again around 6am.  Light cloud well lit.

Usually I'd much prefer to just stay up rather than go to bed and try and get up later, but got the lurgy and so decided bed was sensible option.  It was mostly cloudy before going to bed, but with a gap I did see a haloed moon ?

Alarm at 3:15 completely cloudy

Alarm at 5:00 completely cloudy

☹️

Ah well, at least I tried!!

Helen

Stayed up all night, only had a couple of hours sleep so a bit knackered.

Started clear, clouded over midway and had a few clear patches at totality, never seemed to go completely dark red all over.

Quick JPEG from camera will look at others later

Dave

Eclipse.thumb.png.77d6616696671fdc6ceadb01deb2dff8.png

6 hours ago, Helen said:

Usually I'd much prefer to just stay up rather than go to bed and try and get up later, but got the lurgy and so decided bed was sensible option.  It was mostly cloudy before going to bed, but with a gap I did see a haloed moon ?

Alarm at 3:15 completely cloudy

Alarm at 5:00 completely cloudy

☹️

Ah well, at least I tried!!

Helen

I hope you get better soon 

Went to bed but woke up at 4:20 and it was clear, yey so opened the bedroom window wide and enjoyed the 66% eclipse for several minutes, particularly liked seeing the star just below to the left. The sky looked really still and with no moisture, a first for months.

8 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Stayed up all night, only had a couple of hours sleep so a bit knackered.

Started clear, clouded over midway and had a few clear patches at totality, never seemed to go completely dark red all over.

Quick JPEG from camera will look at others later

Dave

Eclipse.thumb.png.77d6616696671fdc6ceadb01deb2dff8.png

That's better than what my camera gave me!

I'm not chuffed at all with my results - I'm not sure if I should have turned the image stabilisation on as I was under the impression that it can make things worse when your camera is on a tripod. I got better results using my C8 when the collimation was out of whack about a decade ago on the eclipse then than this morning. ?

Maybe I should have tried with as well as the without. I'll see if I can be happy enough with a shot or two to post up tomorrow or later in the week.

Woke up nice and early this morning because I forgot to reset my alarm from yesterday and....

Captured this stunning image....the day after the cloudy lunar eclipse....and just before I sorted it out with a well flung shoe ?

y4mhyEFHmNO-5YmLLEIF9tR3viC0wym001h7ZNEm

I stayed up until after 11pm to see maximum eclipse.  It was a bit disappointing in that it wasn't very red, just very dim, even through a telescope.  Perhaps it looks redder when viewed near the horizon or in a photograph.  It was up high in the sky here for most of the eclipse.  The partial phase was most satisfying watching the moon getting swallowed up by the Earth's shadow.  Temps were a bit cool here, but there was no wind, so it was quite survivable.

3 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I stayed up until after 11pm to see maximum eclipse.  It was a bit disappointing in that it wasn't very red, just very dim, even through a telescope.  Perhaps it looks redder when viewed near the horizon or in a photograph.  It was up high in the sky here for most of the eclipse.  The partial phase was most satisfying watching the moon getting swallowed up by the Earth's shadow.  Temps were a bit cool here, but there was no wind, so it was quite survivable.

It didn't look very red from here until pretty much fully eclipsed, not like I remember a previous one at a lower altitude which was quite red from the start if I'm remembering correctly, wouldn't swear to it at my age :grin:

So what counts as cool in Texas ?

Dave

27 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It didn't look very red from here until pretty much fully eclipsed, not like I remember a previous one at a lower altitude which was quite red from the start if I'm remembering correctly, wouldn't swear to it at my age :grin:

So what counts as cool in Texas ?

Dave

It was around 40°F (4°C).  Since it was dead calm and low humidity, it seemed more like 50°F (10°C).  I just had a light jacket and aviator style cap and no gloves, and I was fine for hours outside.

Archived