SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunar Eclipse 21st January 19

Fozzie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, I've taken the morning off for it.

As of yesterday I had a clear sky forecast for Monday morning from CO, Met Office and Metcheck, but now all are showing mostly cloudy. However, I will give it a try. Good luck!

Regards, Mike.

15 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Here’s hoping. I got the scope out for the last one. The Milky Way was a naked eye object with a red full moon in the sky.

Paul

Cool!!

I think at least a couple of us will head to our local meet up point if it looks clear. I've no more time off until Jan, so it will be a hard core up at 2.30 ish and then straight into the office afterwards! Might have to have a few expressos to keep me going, normally drink decaf tea!!

Get out of a warm bed at stupid o' clock in the morning for a lunar eclipse?.

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!.

I'll be awake anyway because herself gets up at least 2 hrs before going to work.

Insomnia by Faithless is running through my brain. 

I can't get no sleep.

It's 5:20am.......and here I am.

I'm going to make the effort for this event.

The last one I observed happened in the early hours as well (earlier than this one though) and turned out to be one of the most spectacular celestial spectacles that I've ever seen. When the moon was at it's darkest (a really deep blood orange red) all the stars suddently became visible along with some of the best naked eye views of deep sky objects that I can recall.

Hoping for a repeat performance :grin:

7 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Clear Outside and BBC forecast yesterday for Mon early morning = clear!
Clear Outside Forecast and BBC forecast now for Mon early morning = cloud!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah!.. tell me about it!. Lets hope things change quickly......

39 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Clear Outside and BBC forecast yesterday for Mon early morning = clear!
Clear Outside Forecast and BBC forecast now for Mon early morning = cloud!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't be silly they can't forecast that far ahead :grin:

Dave

3 hours ago, John said:

I'm going to make the effort for this event.

The last one I observed happened in the early hours as well (earlier than this one though) and turned out to be one of the most spectacular celestial spectacles that I've ever seen. When the moon was at it's darkest (a really deep blood orange red) all the stars suddently became visible along with some of the best naked eye views of deep sky objects that I can recall.

Hoping for a repeat performance :grin:

The most bizarre lunar eclipse I can recall happened in the 1992-1994 time frame when I was living in New York state.  At full eclipse, it was completely lacking in any color, just a gray orb that looked distinctly 3D like a giant ball bearing hanging in the sky.  All I can figure is the local ground haze somehow managed to filter out all the red leaving nothing but gray.

...as Dan Quayle* once said...I can sum up my moto in one word...."...to be prepared" ?

Here's my equipment waiting for their 0330 wake up call ?

y4mzZuddfh2C5y6iXAK8GHrZb8oWxAHYtMCHP9EB

*One word sums up probably the responsibility of any Vice President, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.

Archived