Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Ardrid

Need Help Deciding

Hi everyone,

I'm about to pick up a pair of binoculars and I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction. I've settled on 3 pairs: Oberwerk 8x56, 9x60, and 11x56. They all weigh about the same, so hand holding shouldn't be an issue (I'm not really interested in getting a pod) and eye relief on all three shouldn't be an issue either. Any thoughts on what's the "best" for the money?

8x will be the least difficult to hand hold successfully, but most people find that all binoculars benefit from being mounted, apart from the tripod getting in the way, especially when trying to view at a high elevation.

Some find that lying on a sunlounger is a good way to view overhead.

The 11 x are likely to give a “punchier” view, show deep sky objects like star clusters better, but show a smaller area of sky than the 8x.  9x a compromise between the others.

It’s a trade off, like most things.

All the best in choosing what suits you best.

Ed.

• Like 1

I'd love to own their 'Ultra Series -15x70' binoculars.

Of the three you have selected, the 11x56 would give me the most suitable exit pupil for my needs.

Do you plan to Tripod mount them?  If so, I'd be tempted to go for the bigger pair, if not then the 8x56's would be a great start...and of course not po heavy and cumbersome to carry around for daytime use..

Nah, not planning on mounting them. Leaning towards the 9x60 right now. Better apeture, middle ground on magnification and FOV. 

New Jersey, so probably not the darkest sky. The little extra light of the 60mm will be offset by less contrast because of the nearly 7mm exit pupil. All the 7mm binocs and finders I looked through lost some visibility of the deep sky because of too much background brightness. Even the 5mm itself is sometimes too much in extreme cases, and a 4mm yields more fuzzies.

I don't mind 16x and some of my friends don't tolerate handheld 8x, so this feature is too personal for another person to help you decide.

Edited by Ben the Ignorant

The fov of the 9x60 is the smallest among the three binos you've listed. Personally I'd go for either 8x56 for easier handhold or 11x56 for more power.

if they are all similar weight then i would go for the 11x version just a slightly larger image and will probably show more DSO's