Narrowband

Evening 16/1/2019

Astro Imp

Well that was a l pleasant surprise, it had been raining since lunchtime and when I looked out earlier couldn't see a thing. Was sitting watching the footie and glanced out the window and saw it had cleared so got set up and spent some time with our neighbour..
Most of the observing tonight was done with a 7mm eyepiece giving just over 170x.
Started with my old friend Clavius, it was a bit far from the terminator but showed the steepness and terracing on the eastern wall really well. 
Tycho was showing well, again the eastern wall was well defined together with the central peak.
There is so much interest in this area I spent time looking around and enjoying the various features.
Slowly moved north to Copernicus, the region between here and the terminator was illuminated with the rising sun and I spent ages looking at the rays from Copernicus patterning the floor of Mare Insularum. The light was ideal for showing Montes Carpatus with the craters T Mayer and T Mayer A at the end. As @David P Osborne noted in his report Kepler was just coming out of shadow together with Encke to the south.
Sinus Iridum was perfectly lit for viewing tonight which is where I finished a most enjoyable time.

Fab report, Alan. Just in from a little Lunar session myself. Ticked another 5 off the Lunar 100 list including Sinus Iridum. It could have been called Pirate Bay with the way it’s shaped and sitting on Mare Iridum as it does. I think my personal highlight of the evening was the Hortensius Domes near Copernicus. I don’t think I’d have ever spotted them without having them highlighted through the Lunar 100 list.

I was also Mooning around last night. The skies cleared up so I quickly put a telescope on the pier, and connected everything.

Telescope- WMO Megrez 80 with 2" Altair 2x TeleExtender and 2" Altair Prism diagonal. 18mm Altair Ultra WF eyepiece.

It was an all too brief session, but I really enjoyed looking at the various features. I must spend more time looking at the Moon.

8 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Domes near Copernicus. I don’t think I’d have ever spotted them without having them highlighted through the Lunar 100 list.

Hi Neil,
I've also found working through the lunar 100 leads you to features you would have easily missed. 
As you enjoyed the domes near Copernicus the Marius domes will start to become visible later tonight, they're also on the Lunar 100.
BTW have you been at the Lunar 100 long, how are you getting on? I've been at it for a while and as you might have seen another post have got bogged down at about 84 completed. 

10 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Hi Neil,
I've also found working through the lunar 100 leads you to features you would have easily missed. 
As you enjoyed the domes near Copernicus the Marius domes will start to become visible later tonight, they're also on the Lunar 100.
BTW have you been at the Lunar 100 long, how are you getting on? I've been at it for a while and as you might have seen another post have got bogged down at about 84 completed. 

Thanks Alan. If skies are clear then I’ll definitely look for the Marius domes tonight. I started on the Lunar 100 about a year ago.  Last night’s haul brought me up to 36. My Lunar observing has been a bit sporadic. I’m still quite new to the hobby and have so much I want to see. I noticed last night that the seeing is critical to getting some of the targets like the rilles. I just about got a crater on the floor of Plato but I’m sure with better seeing I could get a better view. 

Just now, Littleguy80 said:

I just about got a crater on the floor of Plato but I’m sure with better seeing I could get a better view. 

Neil you did well to get a crater last night as Plato wasn't in the optimal position re the terminator. A day or so ago would have given you a better chance.

1 minute ago, Astro Imp said:

Neil you did well to get a crater last night as Plato wasn't in the optimal position re the terminator. A day or so ago would have given you a better chance.

Thanks Alan. That did cross my mind. I went up to 300x and held out for steadier seeing. I was just picking up a larger one in the centre. It would have been smarter to try for it when it was on the terminator as you say :) 

One of my Astro resolutions for 2019 is to do a couple of decent sessions on the Devil’s Orb with my big Dob. The resolution should be great, but in the three years that I’ve owned the scope, I’ve never once pointed it at the moon!

Paul

PS. I am a, self confessed, faint fuzzy lover (they have help groups for the similarly afflicted).

Archived