Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASIair, HEQ 5 Pro and Sky Safari

SAW

Asked this on the FB group but had no help.

I'm am going to be using Sky Safari to control my HEQ5 with the ASIair, the mount is connected via the handset to the ASIair so I can't use my GPS unit with the handset. 

Do I need to still put in the time/date on the handset ?
Do I need to put my location coordinates in to the handset ?

Once I've polar aligned do I need to do star alignment ?

How does Sky Safari know where my mount is pointing/starting from when I do the first GoTo ?

• 3 weeks later...

Had a little experience with ASIair and this seems to work..after polar alignment enter details in to the handset ..ie time location etc and do a one star alignment. After the alignment connect ASIair and then got to telescope settings and sync with telescope and this will take your location and time details direct from your tablet. Connect skysafari and enter your scope and connection details and you should be good to go. Select first target in skysafari   and after slew finishes go to plate solve which then gives you option to re slew to centre the target. Use plate solve to accurately centre your targets as this seems to work well.

Using EQMod would simplify the whole thing, doing away with the handset and if you can accept the more limited number of targets. In my experience you do need to do a one star alignment if you are to use SkySafari/HEQ5 combination. Have a look at the early manual that ZWO published. When I tried I did put the co-ordinates in to the handset but I’m not sure that’s necessary. As stated I don’t now use the handset making for a significant tidying up of the cables.

Agree the handset option is far from ideal as when using Synscan for alignment it doesn't give you an option to choose stars that you recognise and are in your unobstructed view.. Eqmod gives you many more options but doesn't play with Skysafari software which is a great shame.

the trouble I am having TBH is the lead that comes with the air is like the ones that  are to plug in a monitor, in the video the asiair is supplied with one, but if you look at the set up there is another of those leads to go back to the air. pretty much useless explaining it. usb RS232 cable but in the setup it shows two of them

Archived