Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Bloom

What is wrong with my camera?

For a couple of years, my Atik 450C gets this defect (I won't describe it; it is obvious enough in the attached images). When I manage to gather enough signal, the problem is not that obvious. Does anybody know what is going on? 

Note: both galaxy images have been processed in an effort to eliminate the problem (which means that in the initial stack it was even more profound). The third (M16) and fourth (M35) images are somewhat recent, and they seem to be OK. Whatever goes wrong, it does not happen all the time.

M81 - M82.jpg

NGC_6946.jpg

M16 Urban.jpg

M35.jpg

3 hours ago, Bloom said:

For a couple of years, my Atik 450C gets this defect (I won't describe it; it is obvious enough in the attached images)

I'm just a dumb Dutch boy.

Some sort of a description of the issue would help, as would a comparison with how the camera operated before. Still, I see the odd red spot here and there, and some banded luma/chroma noise. Is that it?

Edited by Ruud

I can't see what the problem is either. 

Carole 

Well, maybe guys your monitors are calibrated differently.

There is a vertical line, which seperates the image in two areas: on the left side the image has a bluish tint, while on the right side it is greenish. If you look closely, there are a few more bands, less pronounced. The sepatration, when it happens, it is always in the same position (the NGC6946 image is cropped). I am posting the M81 image again, a bit overexposed, so that you can see. 

M81 - M82.jpg

Edited by Bloom

Maybe a faulty column affecting gradient removal?? An unprocessed sub would be more useful, preferably uncompressed to avoid compression artefacts

Can’t see anything wrong on my phone screen but happy to look on my properly calibrated wide colour gamut monitor tomorrow and see if it’s noticeable.