Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LDN 1622

Rodd

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Just checked the catalogue folder for you.....

I think you can manage this one, it's only 160Kb installed....

That works.  So all I have to do is download it and CdC will automatically find it when I go to search for something?

Rodd

50 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Basically yes,

just make sure the LDN folder in in the CdC Cat folder and you've selected it " green button" showing.

(It also includes the Barnard objects)

This won't screw up any settings will it (com port, mount driver, etc...etc....etc...ad invinitum)?

Rodd

Definitely NO.

Adding a catalogue to the CdC database has no impact on the settings, operation or interfaces etc. of the program. You're safe to go.

(I would recommend you upgrade to the latest version of CdC V4.1.1 if you haven't done so already. Again, this update preserves all your settings.)

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

Definitely NO.

Adding a catalogue to the CdC database has no impact on the settings, operation or interfaces etc. of the program. You're safe to go.

(I would recommend you upgrade to the latest version of CdC V4.1.1 if you haven't done so already. Again, this update preserves all your settings.)

Thanks.  No I have not updated. I will. It will be nice to be able to find targets I currently have to find manually

Rodd

You can download the LDN catalogue ( and many others) from the Cartes du Ciel site, add them to the Cat folder and then select the visibility.

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/download  (bottom of page)

As long as the Catalogue has an Index file in it's folder you can search from CdC.

Finally got around to downloading the LDN catalogue, thanks for the tip off, but it is in my downloads folder as a zip file, if I ask it to extract, nothing happens except I can see a folder with lots of files in it.

So how do I go about installing this on CdC?

Carole 

On 17/01/2019 at 23:03, Merlin66 said:

Definitely NO.

Thanks, that's a really handy bit of advice Merlin for the CdC, do you know if there any any image db's to add for the catalogue?

Just checking and Version 4.0-3575 is the official latest release, I had a few foibles when testing out the beta, nothing that could be explained, but had a few lock-ups and ad-hoc connections to my mount, so went back to the stable release version.

So how do I go about installing this on CdC?

I think CdC will find it as long as its there

Well it's not showing on the main search screen.  I'll try and see if I can find the list as Merlin has shown above. 

Thanks Merlin, will give that a go.  though CdC does say it is the latest version, and if I ask it to go to LDN1622 by typing it is it seems to go there anyway, so maybe it is already somewhere in there.

Carole 

19 minutes ago, David_L said:

Such a beautiful image - really well done - I'm sure it's being added to a lot of target lists after seeing this ?

David

Thanks, David.  It is an intriguing target and makes a very nice color image.

Rodd

14 minutes ago, carastro said:

Thanks Merlin, will give that a go.  though CdC does say it is the latest version, and if I ask it to go to LDN1622 by typing it is it seems to go there anyway, so maybe it is already somewhere in there.

Carole 

I tried it and found a very faint square in CdC where LDN 1622 appears to be.

image.png.37cf2fcc3586635daa2ad7b8a59d7a4d.png

Hope this helps.

I'm fairly sure that CdC V4 includes LDN and Barnard as standard.  I definitely haven't installed them as extras and I have both of them.

To check,  click "Setup->Catalogue".  Select the "CDC Deep Sky" tab.  Make sure that CdC default is checked, and that the "SAC" option is chosen. (see attached screenshot).

Then type "b37" into the search box and it should take you there.

What you see when you get there depends on the settings in "Setup -> Display -Display" and "Setup->Display->Deep Sky Colour", and "Chart-> Show Objects -> Show Deep Sky Objects".

If that all wasn't complicated enough, you might see one of your own plate solved images instead.

BTW.  Lovely image Rodd.  It is now on my list.

CdCCat.jpg

1 hour ago, don4l said:

BTW.  Lovely image Rodd.  It is now on my list.

Thanks, Don. I really like the way your CdC interface looks.  Mine is pretty basic.  I hope to download the newest version so I can see more targets.

Rodd

Rodd,

Easy way to check...

Click on the "About" properties, if it says: "Information from Lynd's catalogue of dark nebulae" then it's using the ldn

if it says "Information from catalogue SAC" then it's using the alternative Barnard designation from the SAC V8.1 catalogue.

2 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Rodd,

Easy way to check...

Click on the "About" properties, if it says: "Information from Lynd's catalogue of dark nebulae" then it's using the ldn

if it says "Information from catalogue SAC" then it's using the alternative Barnard designation from the SAC V8.1 catalogue.

I’ll check that. Thankd

Rodd

Archived