Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LDN 1622

Rodd

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 compared to the TAO 130 with .7x reducer and STT-8300.  I have to wait until the Moon shrinks to finish M78 (1 filter left!).  Meanwhile, the Boogie Man is a wonderful Ha target.

FSQ 106 image: 8.6 hours in 5min subs

TOA Image: 8 hours in 30min subs

A couple of observations:  The TOA-STT8300 data was much cleaner (if I remember correctly).  I really needed all the 8.5 hours with the FSQ and ASI1600, and then some.  I could have used allot more.  Maybe conditions were worse, I can't remember.  But I certainly do not seem to be realizing a "reduced total exposure time due to a lower focal ratio" in my FSQ 106 F3 images.  I get a magnificent FOV, but that's it.  Speaking of FOV--I always wanted to shoot this target with a longer focal length under the false impression that it was needed to adequately portray the Boogie Man.  Untrue, at least in my opinion.

I would very much like to add color to the FSQ image and am debating between an HaRGB composition and an L(ha)RGB composition.  In my LRGB data set for M78, I know this region shows up very well in Lum. 

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer

h103c-stars-um-dcn.thumb.jpg.fd58694abbed18bbf19dc1ba10cbab6d.jpg

TOA 130 with .7x reducer

TOA.thumb.jpg.26bf8101361af81ed6d2225947165d2a.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Two excellent images on a subject I'm unfamiliar with. LDN 1622 is now on my ever expanding list :)

Steve

Thanks Steve.   Yes LDN 1622 is nice because it is relatively easy to capture due to it being revealed in Ha...unlike some other dark nebula that are wholly reflective (or mostly) like the dusty regions of NGC 1333, the dust around the iris, and others.  

Rodd 

I think that F3 and the 3um filters may not be the best combination.  Astrodon said that I would be fine, but I am not 100% convinced.  That would explain why I am not getting quite as much signal as expected.  Maybe as much as a 15% reduction.  It might have something to do with the halos as well.

Rodd

1 minute ago, Laurin Dave said:

Great images Rodd, as you say that it has cleaner data maybe it'd be worth trying the KAF8300 camera on the FSQ106.

Dave

I can't--the self guiding filter wheel uses too much back focus--that is why I got the asi 1600 to use with the FSQ at F3.  I don't think its the camera, to tell the truth.  The ASI 1600 has much less noise than the STT-8300.   There have been plenty of ASI 1600-KAF8300 comparisons.

Rodd

Really great images Rodd, I particularly like the inclusion of Barnard's loop. 

Funnily enough this is my next target, and I tried to get it in the FOV the other night and was looping in Ha but could not see anything.   I can normally see some nebulosity using negative view, though this being a dark nebula maybe I should be looking at it in normal view.

So my question is, how dim is it and should I be able to see it on looping, say with Ha binned x 3 say 7 secs?

Maybe I just missed it, or maybe there were thin clouds and I am imaging from Bortle 8. 

Carole 

26 minutes ago, carastro said:

Really great images Rodd, I particularly like the inclusion of Barnard's loop. 

Funnily enough this is my next target, and I tried to get it in the FOV the other night and was looping in Ha but could not see anything.   I can normally see some nebulosity using negative view, though this being a dark nebula maybe I should be looking at it in normal view.

So my question is, how dim is it and should I be able to see it on looping, say with Ha binned x 3 say 7 secs?

Maybe I just missed it, or maybe there were thin clouds and I am imaging from Bortle 8. 

Carole 

Thanks, Carole.  It was a bit tricky to find.  I needed 30 sec 1x1 to see.  The 2 brightest stars near the center are on Cartes-du-ciel, which I use.  If you zoom way in LDN 1622 is there too, but its exact location is not specified.  I kind of knew where it was because I clipped a little bit of it in my M78 image.  I would find the bright star just above the Boogey Man's Head.  Center that and take a 30 sec 2x2 sub.  Once you see it, you can frame it using the stars and 5 sec subs.

Rodd

5 hours ago, pietervdv said:

Great images! Really like the composition of the first one. 

Regards, Pieter

Thanks Pieter.  I do like the wide FOV and am finding it hard to find a reason to go to a mid focal length--long for galaxies, but the 500mm to a 1,000 mm not so much without a bigger sensor.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd,  

The 2 brightest stars near the center are on Cartes-du-ciel, which I use. 

I did actually ask CdC to goto  LDN 1622 the other night and it did go to it, but I will plate solve your image to find the bright stars as well as a back up.  Many thanks.

Carole 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I did actually ask CdC to goto  LDN 1622 the other night

How did you do this--I don't have an LDN prefix for deep sky objects on my version.  I have IC, NGC, and a couple of others.  I have never been able to figure out how to input IC, or LDN targets--other than knowing about where they are and zooming way in until they appear on the screen.  Either that or looking at a star map and memorizing the star locations.  

Rodd

7 minutes ago, coatesg said:

The shot through the TOA is very good indeed - adding it to some colour data would be very interesting and there's an interesting little ref neb in the "head" of the bogeyman!

Thanks, Graeme--alas, all I have is the JPEG of that one (copied from Astrobin), as I lost most of my data when my external flash drive broke.  I am more drawn to the widefield shot of this target anyway.

Rodd

I did actually ask CdC to goto  LDN 1622 the other night

How did you do this--I don't have an LDN prefix for deep sky objects on my version.  I have IC, NGC, and a couple of others.  I have never been able to figure out how to input IC, or LDN targets-

I am no great expert with CDC as I have only recently started using it again after a long break.   I just typed it in and asked CdC to find it and then it did and then slew.  At least it looked like it had gone to where the target was located.  One of the reasons I asked you whether I should expect to be able to see it because I could't.  

I was actually trying to find a way of typing in the co-ordinates (having read a thread elsewhere on how to do it) which didn't seem to work so I though I would try just typing it in.  Surprised me too. 

Carole 

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

I am no great expert with CDC as I have only recently started using it again after a long break.   I just typed it in and asked CdC to find it and then it did and then slew.  At least it looked like it had gone to where the target was located.  One of the reasons I asked you whether I should expect to be able to see it because I could't.  

I was actually trying to find a way of typing in the co-ordinates (having read a thread elsewhere on how to do it) which didn't seem to work so I though I would try just typing it in.  Surprised me too. 

Carole 

I have only ever tried using the mouse to click the letters and numbers for the target--never tried typing with the keyboard.  I will try, thanks!

Rodd

15 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

You can download the LDN catalogue ( and many others) from the Cartes du Ciel site, add them to the Cat folder and then select the visibility.

https://www.ap-i.net/skychart/en/download  (bottom of page)

As long as the Catalogue has an Index file in it's folder you can search from CdC.

How big is the catalog?  My hard drive is seriously stressed.

Rodd

Archived