Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Nottingham

docbaker

Just joined the forum, and just doing the research for my first telescope, so I'll have plenty of questions, mostly already answered on here I expect.

The scope really is to take regularly by 4wd to the south of france, so SCT models only I think. Had a lengthy chat with rother valley optics today - the nextstar evolution 6 appeals, though the 8se is bigger and better value for money .. more work to do and opinions to seek.

Welcome to SGL, 4WD's and SCT's sound very sporting and fun...Best of Luck getting just the right combo for your adventures and Clear/Skies of course ?

Freddie...

Welcome to the SGL! I did quite a bit of research on the NexStar Evolution scopes...came close to buying one a few years ago. Ultimately went with a big Dob but I'll be interested to hear your take on the Evolution if you end up getting it. 

The more I read and query, a little clearer things become, I think .. with some more questions:

For my interest of planets, stars and deep space I need 2 telescopes (to start with), a general workhorse catadioptric of good aperture >=8 inch (£ pricey), and a more dedicated reflector for deep space (£not too bad).

Both I believe need a goto mount to start exploring, as well as dew systems - do these negate the issue more or less completely, ie reduce the cooling time radically or completely?

In the interests of economy would a single tripod and goto mount suffice for both telescopes (not observing at the same time), of better quality than those dedicated into a packaged goto eg Nexstar Evolution?

Any recommendations on tripod and mount, my total budget is £2k, with around £1k on a SCT, and any change on dew system, and essential eye pieces, filters, and so on.

SCT thoughts on aperture and brand relative quality would also be handy, such as could a 6 inch be viable, or >=8 inch advised? it's a little bewildering, as a starter I thought that the Celestion (which seems to have a good name) C8 XLT tube at just over £1k might serve as a starting point.

I assume that if all bought through a single outlet, that they could be engaged to do the initial set-up of such a mixed system?

Any advice gratefully received ..

Archived