Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

small (ish) colour imaging cam for dob

fwm891

I have a 10 inch f5 dob on a homemade eq platform which keeps object fairly constant in the eyepiece - even up to circa 200x mag. So what I would like to do is take some images of moon/planets etc and stack the images as needed.  I'm guessing I need at least a 2x amplification in fl to start with judging by the software simulators.

Budget approx. £250 max...

Ideas and info gratefully received

1 hour ago, fwm891 said:

That's what I'm asking...

I have ZWO ASI224MC, 
nice toy! :) USB3, Very high Frame per Second rate and quite cheap.

I have managed to get quite nice Jupiter images with it even via 130PS 

And without any proper skills

Unfortunately, they sell it without IR cut filter...
So if you will decide to got for one, - keep it in mind...

Of course... the best results would be with mono, - but the total price will jump through the roof... 

ASI224 and at least F/15 is decent combo.

Camera alone is about £250, but if you have x3 barlow - simple ZWO IR/UV cut is not very expensive.

You can also use x2 barlow, but at F/10 you will be under sampled for planetary (images will still be very good - but there is probably more detail to be had at F/15).

Thanks All the 224 looks a good choice and its easy to put the uv/ir cut filter on the nose of the barlow/extender. With that size chip it could be fun! getting a planet on there to start with ?

Really accurate finder alignment helps, as does counting focuser turns from eyepiece focus point to camera focus point ... Then defocus slightly to make planet look bigger so it's easier to find.

Funny, I have the 224 but recommended the 120 so you'd have enough for decent Barlow.

Start from the MOON! 

Good target to learn how software works, SharpCap or FireCapture are the flagships in this area.

For the Planets,

Yep... Very Good Finder alignment... VERY!
Keep in mind, you will end up with x3 Barlow and you will not be able to focus on the planet with it... 

Summary, -

Align Finder at F15, focus close to the planet, enable ROI (Region of interest, or Crop, depends on the software you will use), keep histogram peak around 70% with Max FPS possible, file formant .AVI or .Srt, 60 or 90 secs records, - shoot shoot shoot ;) 

A Little/weak haze in the air, - is not an obstacle, it actually even helps!

3 hours ago, fwm891 said:

Thanks All the 224 looks a good choice and its easy to put the uv/ir cut filter on the nose of the barlow/extender. With that size chip it could be fun! getting a planet on there to start with ?

Good choice! 

P.S. IR Cut filter goes directly on the camera it also works as a sensor protector.

Archived