Narrowband

skywatcher EQM-35 PRO

scotttumsh

Hi folks has anyone got one of these mounts?https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eqm-35-pro-synscan-goto-modular-mount.html ,Im looking to upgrade from my current setup and was looking at this mount, so im wondering if anyone has this or have used it. im looking to use it for both visual and astrophotography. any input would be welcome thanks.

Thanks for the reply, to be honest i know the HEQ5 is the answer. its just that im a bit wary buying second hand and would rather buy new. i do want to further my astrophotography so it will be a bit more saving pennies. i was just wondering the performance of the EQM35, as i currently use the Eq3, and i manged to get decent images with that, although i did a lot of work on it to get it to perform how id like.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2019 at 16:50, scotttumsh said:

Thanks for the reply, to be honest i know the HEQ5 is the answer. its just that im a bit wary buying second hand and would rather buy new. i do want to further my astrophotography so it will be a bit more saving pennies. i was just wondering the performance of the EQM35, as i currently use the Eq3, and i manged to get decent images with that, although i did a lot of work on it to get it to perform how id like.

Scott

I would expect it to do quite well not quite so well as a heq5pro but better than a eq5 and much better than a eq3pro. In Ra the gears have more in common with the heq5 than the eq5 or eq3. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2019 at 16:50, scotttumsh said:

Scott

To be honest buying Astro gear secondhand, so long as you buy from here or astrobuysell is pretty safe. 

Most people look after their gear and a good mount will last for years. I’d have no qualms about buying one but appreciate your caution. 

If buying new I’d still wait to afford an HEQ5 at the very least. Yes the mount you link to is cheaper but I suspect it would be too long before you wanted to upgrade again. 

The mount is so important to AP there is little value in trying to save money on it. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for the replies, i have decided to wait until i can afford the HEQ5 and make do withe my current set up till then, been a great last few nights with the skies here and im really making the most of it as well. thanks.

Scott

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

How did you fair in the end? I'm deciding between EQM and AZ-Eq6gt.. prefer less bulk and weight as storing this upstairs. But what to make sure it can support a 100mm triplet.

Edited by Sanjio

10 hours ago, Helen said:

@MartinB has one 🙂

Yes I recently bought a new one from FLO.  I have been doing some imaging with a widefield set up using a 200mm Canon lens with an ASI 1600 pro.  My CGEM is a bit overkill for this set up and also I like to use that mount for observing with my 10" LX200 SCT, so EQ35-pro is both for widefield imaging and for carrying my ED120 for visual.  I haven't used it yet for imaging but it has been fine for visual, it is much easier to take out into the garden than the CGEM, it seems to support the ED120 nicely, the polar scope gives a reasonably close alignment and the goto is accurate.  I have tweaked the backlash a bit which is very easy to do.  I have a small problem which I still have to sort - there is a sticking point close to the E to W meridian when manually slewing RA with the clutch released (nothing to do with the worm gear tweaks).  It has full SyncScan capability including use of EqMod

It's a great set up for grab and go visual and short focal length imaging.  It sits nicely between an HEQ5 and a Star Adventurer.  A mount of this size is always worth having!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 01:02, MartinB said:

Yes I recently bought a new one from FLO.  I have been doing some imaging with a widefield set up using a 200mm Canon lens with an ASI 1600 pro.  My CGEM is a bit overkill for this set up and also I like to use that mount for observing with my 10" LX200 SCT, so EQ35-pro is both for widefield imaging and for carrying my ED120 for visual.  I haven't used it yet for imaging but it has been fine for visual, it is much easier to take out into the garden than the CGEM, it seems to support the ED120 nicely, the polar scope gives a reasonably close alignment and the goto is accurate.  I have tweaked the backlash a bit which is very easy to do.  I have a small problem which I still have to sort - there is a sticking point close to the E to W meridian when manually slewing RA with the clutch released (nothing to do with the worm gear tweaks).  It has full SyncScan capability including use of EqMod

It's a great set up for grab and go visual and short focal length imaging.  It sits nicely between an HEQ5 and a Star Adventurer.  A mount of this size is always worth having!

Hi,

i bought this mount recently, but only had one "night" out with it, mainly to get it installed.

Must say i'm not quite there yet, i want to use it via ASCOM with my laptop, but i'm suspecting i have not the right settings.

Ascom telecope chooser let's you choose between Skywatcher mount and EQ5/EQ6, the last one works, but my guiding is all wrong.

You would happen to have some tips ?

Software used : Ascom platform 6.4.0.0 , Cartes du Ciel, Phd2, APT

Thanks

I haven't yet used it for an imaging run.  I had a problem, partly user error, when I fried a circuit board using the wrong lead for the wifi set up, won't make that mistake again!  Also stripped a thread to a screw holding the RA motor, now sorted.  It really has been a comedy of errors!  I have connected to ascom without any problems but haven't used it for an imaging session yet.  I will be using PHD via Sequence Generator Pro and hope all will run well.  I will let you know how I get on.

Have you guided before?

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

I haven't yet used it for an imaging run.  I had a problem, partly user error, when I fried a circuit board using the wrong lead for the wifi set up, won't make that mistake again!  Also stripped a thread to a screw holding the RA motor, now sorted.  It really has been a comedy of errors!  I have connected to ascom without any problems but haven't used it for an imaging session yet.  I will be using PHD via Sequence Generator Pro and hope all will run well.  I will let you know how I get on.

Have you guided before?

I'm guiding all the time with my EQ6R-pro, but the thing is i connect the EQM-35 as a EQ5/EQ6 and i think this is OK, IF one adjusts some settings, and i'm not quite sure witch ones. 

In APT for instance slewing at a speed above 0,25 locks the mount up, then again parking at full speed is no problem.

As for guiding at first i was unable to calibrate (Star didn't move error), i then adjusted (without knowing what i was doing) some guide settings in the ascom toolbox, and the calibration finished, but still not good, guiding was 1,65", so far from good, at that point i had enough and gave up for that night.

Does the axes swing freely  by hand?  Have you tweaked the backlash at all?

I have connected via EqMod using HEQ5/6 during the day..  The mount slews and parks ok when used via SGP.  The next clear night I have I am planning to give it a go and will let you know if I encounter any gremlins.  It is certainly running well for observing and the backlash seems very reasonable since adjusting.  I wouldn't have wanted to guide with the amount of backlash that was present on delivery.

• 3 months later...

Hello there.

I am new to astronomy and I was planning on buying this same mount (EQM 35 Pro). I am currently in Europe, but will soon be moving (back) to South America, where the mount is not available as a buying option, so I wonder if the mount would fit inside a regular size suitcase, so I can dispatch it on the airplane. Do you think this would be feasible?

On 29/04/2020 at 10:26, Denys said:

Hello there.

I am new to astronomy and I was planning on buying this same mount (EQM 35 Pro). I am currently in Europe, but will soon be moving (back) to South America, where the mount is not available as a buying option, so I wonder if the mount would fit inside a regular size suitcase, so I can dispatch it on the airplane. Do you think this would be feasible?

Should be possible.  The trickiest thing will be the tripod legs which are about 1m in length.

5 hours ago, MartinB said:

Should be possible.  The trickiest thing will be the tripod legs which are about 1m in length.

Yes, the tripod legs is what I was most worry about. But if they are 1m long I think I may be able to find a suitcase in which it can be fit.

Thank you for your reply!

• 2 months later...
On 28/01/2020 at 06:17, MartinB said:

Have you guided before?

Hey Martin!, I have the same EQ mount, I have been using it for imaging as well as viewing and I’m still learning, but I was wondering how did you twicked the backlash compensation?, I have a GSO RC 6” mounted on and every time I’m doing some imaging I notice a drift in the photos, nothing to be worry about it is very small, but it’s there, also have you played with the PEC training at all?, all of my imaging sessions are unguided, just by tracking.

thanks mate!.

I still haven't done an imaging run in anger yet but lots of hassle free observing.  A friend is currently using the mount whilst he gets his HEQ5 repaired.  When I get it back I will send some pics re reducing backlash.  Backlash shouldn't be an issue if you aren't guiding.  It is worth having the RA axis slightly heavier the east side to ensure the RA gear stays well meshed.  I haven't done pec training.

A bit late to the party, but I've have an EQM-35 for about 9 months now.  I chose it because it needs to be portable and I would personally struggle lifting and carrying anything heavier for any distance.  I only use it for astrophotography with a DSLR and a 400mm lens, so the whole imaging kit including the guide scope and camera only weights about 4 kg, well within it's maximum recommended load.  I use PHD2 for guiding and normally achieve less than 1 arc-sec RMS error in both axis, so my images are fine, but don't expect it straight out of the box.  The declination axis had to be loosened to get it to move smoothly and the polar scope was out of alignment.  Although the declination axis backlash is quite large, I haven't needed to adjust it - PHD2 seems to be able to cope with what's there.

I have a 35 also since April and It's pretty good and a lot easier to transport than my EQ6.  I've been fighting with the Dec. Axis also when guiding. I started this thread a few days ago on this and a couple of other Astro Forums to try and work it out.

If you guys want to share some Trials and Tribulations, I'm in....

4 hours ago, Seelive said:

A bit late to the party, but I've have an EQM-35 for about 9 months now.  I chose it because it needs to be portable and I would personally struggle lifting and carrying anything heavier for any distance.  I only use it for astrophotography with a DSLR and a 400mm lens, so the whole imaging kit including the guide scope and camera only weights about 4 kg, well within it's maximum recommended load.  I use PHD2 for guiding and normally achieve less than 1 arc-sec RMS error in both axis, so my images are fine, but don't expect it straight out of the box.  The declination axis had to be loosened to get it to move smoothly and the polar scope was out of alignment.  Although the declination axis backlash is quite large, I haven't needed to adjust it - PHD2 seems to be able to cope with what's there.

Yeah, the reticle in mine came way off so I had to adjust it, I’ve been pushing the payload limits of the mount quite a bit but so far I have had good results, the total weight of my set up is about 7.9kg, with my DSLR mounted in it, I had to loosen the Dec as well, so now it has a smooth ride, so far I’m happy with the mount, it is not the best but for starting out it gives you every single one of the small issues so you can learn how to solve them.

• 3 months later...

Well October now and late to the party but here goes on my thoughts and realities of my EQM Pro 35

Firstly from new it is a very "sticky" mount in RA and DEC, whether it's in infamous SW "gunk" grease or not I can say after 3-4 months of using it daily, not just for imaging as we all know our clouds issues, but just leaving it running scripts from APT and the occasional vigorous manual rocking and twisting, it is now much freer in both axes. Not so free that it makes balancing simple but I use the "electrical" method from the Lazy Geek which is foolproof and works a dream and balance is no longer an issue.

Both RA and DEC backlash from new was awful and my thanks to Martin Pyott's episode 4 video on tuning, I have taken 99% of any backlash out of the axes. Before I had backlash infos and 12 step BL clearance in PHD2 and now  never have alerts on backlash and never more than 2 steps clearance.

Original guiding was really bad and now I never hit 2 on the graph and both axes are smooth and all those horrible spikes have gone

Don't use the Handset as all under ASCOM/EQMOD and totally reliable comms under the EQ5/6 choosers

Perfect GoTo's with never more than 1 slew in PointCraft

8Kgs on-board...TS65 Quad, 120mm GS with ASI120MMC, ASI533MC, EAF focuser, DewZap, 7 port USB 3 Hub...all up and I am extremely happy though a lot of tweaks to get here

That's my input

• 7 months later...

Hi. Has anyone got the eqm 35 pro to work with aisair pro with usb connection to the controller itself, have I made it work once in about 40 attempts or do you have to use eqmode cable grateful for the answer thank you

On 09/06/2021 at 12:02, bombat40 said:

Hi. Has anyone got the eqm 35 pro to work with aisair pro with usb connection to the controller itself, have I made it work once in about 40 attempts or do you have to use eqmode cable grateful for the answer thank you

I'm using the EQM-35 w/ASIAir Pro with this cable: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HL2Z741/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been running it without issues for about 6 months now.