Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Maze ?

rhw1967

Good afternoon.

Can honestly say I have received some amazing advice on these forums which has led me to purchasing my Evostar 120ed which I adore !!!!!

Have previously enquired about EPs and sadly for now have had to discount Tele Vue EPs due to the fact that my partner will kill me and bury the body where it cannot be found if I drop a ton more money on astronomy in the next couple of months ???? (kidding about her killing me by the way in case anyone thinks I am being serious.. but she wouldn't be too happy... Haha)

So, have narrowed down to the following brand of EPs...

WO UWAN ( seem to be difficult to get hold of )

Baader Hyperion ( readily available and also some 2nd hand around )

ES (again readily available and seen a few floating around on the 2nd hand market)

Also the BST Starguider range has been suggested.

I use my scope only for observing.. any thoughts on the above brands please ? 

Cheers

Richard

I just sold all my Revelations for less than the price of a Tele Vue Plossl, and they might have worked well on an f/7  scope.
I personally felt the Revelations were better value, and to my eyes, no different to the TV's.
As for the BST's, you wont know unless you try .

17 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

WO UWAN ( seem to be difficult to get hold of )

FLO carries the latest incarnation of these in a more ergonomic body as the OVL Nirvana-ES UWA.  The 28mm doesn't appear to be offered.

17 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

Also the BST Starguider range has been suggested.

FLO offers volume discounts on the BST Starguiders: 10% on 2, 15% on 4, and 20% on 7.  The lower focal length ones are the best corrected.

4 minutes ago, Louis D said:

FLO carries the latest incarnation of these in a more ergonomic body as the OVL Nirvana-ES UWA.  The 28mm doesn't appear to be offered.

FLO offers volume discounts on the BST Starguiders: 10% on 2, 15% on 4, and 20% on 7.  The lower focal length ones are the best corrected.

Honestly didn't know the Nirvana were the latest incarnation of the WO... That's good to know and means I can have a search around for them ?

3 hours ago, Tubby Bear said:

Richard.......you need to tell your other half about how much Tele-vues cost.

Come clean. I have 6 x 1.25" and they all cost £50 each.

Its the big 2" glass thats a bit more pricey. They are £100 each.

Simples.

? I tried that approach with my telescopes.. she soon caught on :( 

4 hours ago, Tubby Bear said:

Richard.......you need to tell your other half about how much Tele-vues cost.

Come clean. I have 6 x 1.25" and they all cost £50 each.

Its the big 2" glass thats a bit more pricey. They are £100 each.

Simples.

You better hope she doesn't see the credit card bills.  Since my wife reviews all the credit card and bank statements, it's a bit hard to hide anything but smallish in-person cash transactions from her.

3 minutes ago, Louis D said:

You better hope she doesn't see the credit card bills.  Since my wife reviews all the credit card and bank statements, it's a bit hard to hide anything but smallish in-person cash transactions from her.

My partner is a financial director for a company. She has a file, spreadsheet, etc for EVERYTHING.... She is soooooo going to kill me ????? 

Of the eyepieces you list, I've only owned ES 68, ES 82 and Hyperion eyepieces, and the Explore Scientific ones vastly outperform the Hyperions. When I first used my Hyperion 24/68 in my ST80 the view was so poor (blurry and unfocussable) it was upsetting. My ES 24/68 gives pin sharp views in contrast. In a slower scope like an F13 Maksutov there is no difference between ES and Hyperion, and they both give great views then.

2 hours ago, Ags said:

Of the eyepieces you list, I've only owned ES 68, ES 82 and Hyperion eyepieces, and the Explore Scientific ones vastly outperform the Hyperions. When I first used my Hyperion 24/68 in my ST80 the view was so poor (blurry and unfocussable) it was upsetting. My ES 24/68 gives pin sharp views in contrast. In a slower scope like an F13 Maksutov there is no difference between ES and Hyperion, and they both give great views then.

Thanks, I have a Hyperion Zoom which I like, so had been leaning towards the Hyperions.. but having had a lot of messages about the ES 82 range for my 120ED am very tempted.

I've owned a couple of Hyperion Zooms and I reckon that they are better corrected at the edges of the field in faster scopes than the fixed focal length ones.

If you already have a Hyperion zoom, you could just add a 30mm-ish wide angle eyepiece plus a good quality barlow / extender and have a full set with pretty decent performance ?

One way to mitigate the expense is to have a limited number of EPs. On our big scope (14 inch SCT) I only ever use two. It was the same when we had a 20 inch Dob. In a refractor I'd probably use three, the extra being a short FL planetary EP. At least the planetary one has no need of a wide field. I've never felt the need to finesse on focal lengths where EPs are concerned. I like to get one that's about right and start the real business, which is looking.

Olly

38 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

One way to mitigate the expense is to have a limited number of EPs. On our big scope (14 inch SCT) I only ever use two. It was the same when we had a 20 inch Dob. In a refractor I'd probably use three, the extra being a short FL planetary EP. At least the planetary one has no need of a wide field. I've never felt the need to finesse on focal lengths where EPs are concerned. I like to get one that's about right and start the real business, which is looking.

Olly

Yep, not looking for a huge collection, just some decent EPs for my Apo. Was looking at a 4.7mm ES 82 , a 32mm and I have my Baader Mk IV zoom. Unless anyone felt there was a glaring hole then happy with three or four. Just really was interested in what people thought about the brands i mentioned :) 

Archived