Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

DonJbari

SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube SynScan Dobsonian Telescope Conversion

Hi all, 

So, i've just begun my journey into Astronomy and subsequently have fallen into the rabbit hole of Astrophotography, as stated in the title i currently own a SkyWatcher Skyliner 200P FlexTube SynScan Dobsonian Telescope however as you may all know the dobsonian mount isn't really feasible for long exposure photographs and have started researching EQ Mounts and will most likely go with the Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GOTO Mount & Tripod however i have seen comments about not being able to convert the FlexTube models of telescopes and was wondering if anyone here has had any success converting a SW flextube telescope to work on a EQ mount using tube rings?

Thanks!

10224.jpg

No experience of the conversion but there seems to be enough normal tube dimension to fit some form of attachment facility to an EQ mount. I think a HEQ5 would be the minimum mount for AP with an 8".    ?

While it can be done, I've done it with solid tube 8" - you don't want to do it :D

You need couple of things:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html

There are rings for 235mm tube (marked 8" newtonian tube rings).

and something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

Possible problem that I can see is point of balance. Scope should be balanced approximately where "ears" for dob base are - you need to check if you have enough space to put rings with dovetail on that section of the tube because of the tube design - you can't put tube rings on upper "truss" part.

There are couple of threads about removing "ears" from solid 8" skywatcher dob here on SGL - let me try to find those for you.

So, yes, it can probably be done. Other option is to "mod" the tube by drilling holes and bolting down dovetail plate. But like I've said - you don't want to do that, at least not with HEQ5. Scope is very long and bulky and it's at the very end of mount carry capability. If starting with AP - this is simply going to give you grief instead of good results.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys,

But after some extensive research i think the best solution is to just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated refractor for astrophotography and keep the dob for visual/planetary observation.

but yeah thanks for the replies, appreciate it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DonJbari said:

But after some extensive research i think the best solution is to just bite the bullet and buy a dedicated refractor for astrophotography and keep the dob for visual/planetary observation.

Good decision.

Even if you were able to mount your 200p on an eq mount like a normal newt, it would be under-mounted on an HEQ5 Pro for imaging. Getting an EQ6 class mount would make the whole kit very cumbersome and 1200mm focal length may not be the best starting point for AP. While there are high payload:weight ratio mounts to keep the overall weight down (e.g. iEQ45, SXP2, etc.), they are more expensive than an 80ED + HEQ5 combo.

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KP82 said:

Good decision.

Even if you were able to mount your 200p on an eq mount like a normal newt, it would be under-mounted on an HEQ5 Pro for imaging. Getting an EQ6 class mount would make the whole kit very cumbersome and 1200mm focal length may not be the best starting point for AP. While there are high payload:weight ratio mounts to keep the overall weight down (e.g. iEQ45, SXP2, etc.), they are more expensive than an 80ED + HEQ5 combo.

Yeah overall it just doesn't make sense, but hey at least now i have something to look forward to ?, going to wait for Galaxy season and pick up a SW Esprite 100ed and a HEQ5-Pro 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonJbari said:

going to wait for Galaxy season and pick up a SW Esprite 100ed and a HEQ5-Pro

Don't wait too long, I've just bought one and the scope is on back order ATM.

2 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

Don't wait too long, I've just bought one and the scope is on back order ATM.

Do you mind me asking where you purchased yours and how long the back order is for?

Thanks

Went to Rother Valley Optics and was quoted the end of the month.
HTH

• Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 15:10, Astro Imp said:

Went to Rother Valley Optics and was quoted the end of the month.
HTH

Hmmm, i think im going to wait till spring time, i hope they're restocked sufficiently by then 

There are quite a few other good 4" triplets on the market that are priced about the same as the Esprit 100. Have you had a look at them?

On 16/01/2019 at 13:45, DonJbari said:

Have you looked at something like a 150PDS?

Great topic,

I am thinking buying this scope and just sent you a PM about some technical questions about it.

Will be using mostly for visual but I am also interested in doing very simple EAA with it.

From what I heard, the EQ5 mount is too small. I heard people suggesting the EQ6 for AP. But I know nothing of AP and very little if mounts...

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jadcx
      Skywatcher 80 ED DS-Pro outfit including matched flattener and motor focus £550
      This kit gives you a great introduction to astronomy and imaging, which is why it's so popular.  You can see details over at FLO but there is:
      80 ED Ds-Pro OTA (Objective Lens Diameter: 80mm, Telescope Focal Length: 600mm,  f/7.5)
      SW Eyepiece (2"): 28mm
      2”/50.8mm Di-Electric Star Diagonal
      9x50 Finderscope
      Dual-Speed 11:1 2” Crayford Focuser (Backlash-Free)
      Supplied with Tube Rings & Mounting Plate - please note there is a longer black vixen type dovetail fitted, not the fancy new green short one you will see on the FLO site
      SW motor focus and fitting kit - I've never used this, hence it's not fitted (more details over on FLO)
      Dedicated SW 0.85x reducer/flattener (see FLO for more details)
      Aluminium Carrying / Shipping Case

The RRP is over £720, so grab a bargain while you can.
      Collection from Nottingham, or DHL for £20 (within UK)

• By GiovanniF
      Hi to everyone, I used to do some astrophotography in the past with a Celestron AVX and DSLR but after few month had to give up for several reasons, including light pollution (I'm living in zone 3 east London), and also working shifts. Now I want to start again, and this time more serious. I've been searching around for a couple of months to choose all the gear and I'm quite happy with the list so far although it's a bit over the price I planned at first.
       I will get an William optics Z73 with his 50mm guide scope, a flattener/reducer 0.8, light pollution filter IDAS D2 and as camera I will use a Canon 600D modded and I will buy a ZWO 183MC Pro, after so much research, I'm very happy with the scale and framing I will get with this combo, but I'm starting to get confused with the mount.
      My first idea was to go for an HEQ5 Pro, as my previous experience with the AVX has been awful, then I realized that the FLO, sells that mount with belt modification and also some cleaning and tuning if required, I heard that it's a big improvement over the stock one and the price it's ok, but another important factor for me it's portability. Unfortunately, my garden doesn't allow me to do much so I will need to carry around on trolley, for a km walk, I'm a strong person and been doing plenty of time with the AVX, so my confusion came recently when the iOptron mounts entered my radar. I start comparing the heq5 pro with belt, with the iOptron cem25EC and the CEM40 without encoders, and I'm so unsure of which to buy, the cem25 seem to be the equivalent of heq5 at least speaking of payload, but in some threads I read people saying it's a bit fragile so kind of remove it from the equation although the weight it's interesting for my situation, then the cem40, seem to be quite similar on weight to the heq5 but with higher payload and that's interesting too as I will buy a C11 at some point.
      Now it will all come down to the accuracy of tracking I guess, how the heq5 and cem40 would compare on tracking and guiding? If the cem40 it's better, I would probably go with that since it holds more and would last longer as I don't plan to get anything bigger than a C11, but if the skywatcher it's better, I could decide to go for that, and when I move to a place with better garden then get a second mount with higher payload.
      Apologise for the long post and my english.
      Kind Regards,
      Giovanni. 
    • By Andy Cole
      Hi all
      I'm a newbie here but not totally new to astronomy. I've had a telescope since I was a teenager (over 30 years!) and only ever had 1 telescope - a Tasco 40x40mm reflector. I expect members my age are familiar with it - thin and white with a thin metal tripod and a push and pull focuser.  It's still functional at more than 30 years old although the thread on the eyepiece is worn so the eyepiece falls off regularly! I've only ever used it to look at the moon, Jupiter and Saturn and that's always been good enough for me.  Now I have been thinking of getting a new scope. I have a very limited budget and so I am wondering whether I will get any significant improvements on what I can see.
      My earliest memories of the Tasco from childhood were that I could see the rings of Saturn as a line across the circle of the planet.  Having rekindled my interest in the last few years, I have started to use it again, and nowadays, when Saturn is visible, I can clearly see the rings 'as a ring' and the gap between the planet and the rings, which I don't remember seeing as a kid. 
      Vieing Jupiter I can usually see about 4 moons.
      I've heard that the Skywatcher Heritage 130P Dobsonian is a good 'budget' telescope, and great for casual use, which is what appeals to me most.  I don't want a telescope with complicated setup or one that takes up a lot of space.  TheSkywatcher seems to fit the bill, and it also fits my very limited budget.
      What I am most interested to find out is whill I get an improved view of the things I have already experienced?  I have read some reviews that describe what you can see with this scope and it sounds like it's pretty much what I can already see. And it's maximum 65x magnification doesn't seem like much better than the Tasco's 40x. But will the wider aperture make a bigger difference than the magnification?
      I'm also interested to know if I could use this scope for basic astrophotography - I have numerous cameras - phone cameras, compacts and DSLR's (photohraphy is my main hobby).  I'm not talking about hour long exposures of dark sky objects, just what can be seen easily through this scope.
      I'd love to know what people's opinions are, especially if you own or have used this scope.  I'm also interested to hear recommendations for other scopes, but please remember I have limited budget and space.  I know that an 8" or more is better and I would love one but they are just too expensive and too large for me.
      Cheers
      Andy
    • By Mark Daniels
      Been looking for neat solution to taking small scope abroad using my stuff and not paying out for a dedicated set up. 
      Have a skywatcher finder which with a barlow and 90 * gives good results. I was looking at an Orion mini eq tabletop tripod but hard to get hold of. 
      Play a bit of music in a band and have a few microphone stands so got to work with a hack saw. 
      I used a mic holder as in photo they are about £3 and cut the holder part off and filed flat. Drilled hole through to accept large camera thread (£3 screw bolt)
      this allows shortened micstand to fit to the alt az mount. (Mic stand 15 of ebay. )
      the dovetail was expensive as i wanted green and got from germany £30 with couier the white finder bracket from tring harrisons £6
      so thats £60 but if i went for black dovetail less than £40  seeing i had mic stand already quite a cheap solition
      the stand is very stable and provided the telescope is moved clockwise when rotating freehand the threads stay tight  with the fine controls either direction works well
      overall wiegt is bit over 3 kg and will fit in a standard aluminium camera case 
      hope this if useful 
      Mark👍

• By Lachlan
      Hi everyone, 
      as the title suggests, I've noticed that the RA axis of my HEQ5 pro mount has some give. I don't notice it while the clutch is unlocked, but it's very obvious with a locked RA clutch. Any suggestions on what could be causing it/what adjustments need to be made? 
      Thanks 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.