Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

phil bod

Cloudy Skies every night

Dont know about you guys but these constant cloudy skies up here in the nw coast of the uk are really gettin somwhat depressing...weeks of this thinks we have had one clear night in ages one night last week so a little opportunity to go test the Tal scopes ..concentrated on the constellation of Auriga ..lots of nice star clusters there but clear skie was hampered by the jets leaving there trails and they wer just spreading into a thin haze not blowing or goin anywere so that damped my spirits some what too...last night there was a few breaks early evening  a quick glimpse of the moon thru the tal 100r was soon overcome by cloud so not much i could see then the cloud finally covered up everything so back indoors and turned on the pc and did my stargazing by looking at the pc program stellarium to see what i can look for next time i get out under a clear sky...its harder than fishing this lol..hope you all dont suffer  this greyness day in and day out like were having at moment ...im suffering from S.A.D....i need the sun lol..the pic is looking east and as you can see its not stargazing weather been like this mostly for weeks up here

DSCN1062.JPG

• Like 2

Same down here. This seems to be the new "normal" in the UK.

Peter

Same here in Belgium. The last 4 weeks I was only able to focus my new OAG and do a cilibration with PHD2.

Oh yea I forgot, I have a 120 sec picture of M1.

Great start for 2019 :)

Managed to get out last night for a few hours before the cloud set in again, think this is the second evening in 6 weeks. However I spent most of the time wrestling and swearing at the guide camera! What a strange hobby we have. Total frustration followed by...…. Oh that's nice.:BangHead:

Lol Kev I done a bit of swearing to this last few weeks..strange hobbie we have...but great when you get them beautiful clear starry nights

• Like 1

I think the cloud cover may be due to me buying a new telescope at the end of November. I haven't had a decent night since!

It has been the same in Spain too.  I always thought of my kit in Spain as my escape to luxury, but had very little opportunity to image for quite a while, with seemingly the only clear nights being when I am back in the UK.

Mate, ive never known a winter season like it in near 50 years, if this is what globle warming has got in store for us were Doomed. charl.

Edited by xtreemchaos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh don't worry there's a full moon on Sunday, it's always clear on a full moon....    Oh hang on.... it a;so a lunar eclipse on Sunday/Monday... it's going to be wall to wall isn't!

Actually, this thread is good timing, Im agonising about thinning the equipment to by a specific scope im interested in.. but what is the point in having equipment sat around with limited opportunity to use, might as well have onething you'll enjoy using when you get those rare chances eh?

Clear skys to everyone!

ta

Fozzie

• Like 1

It does get frustrating, i was up at Kielder Observatory at the weekend courtesy of a voucher bought by my children, guess what! totally clouded out and rain ? just means i will have to go again sometime.

The good thing is though, when the cloud does clear all the stars,planets, galaxies and everything else will still be there ?

• Like 1

My wife is currently in Tenerife, 10 days so far with clear days and nights, not a cloud in sight, just emailed to say she's going to stop on for another week, 29c yesterday!      ?️

Don't take any notice of weather forecasting . They couldn't find their backsides with both hands !

I've had 4 sessions this year by going out and looking . Last night , despite the forecast of doom,I had a clear couple of hours. For some time I just stood and looked at Gemini and Auriga . Thinking " I know what's up there and where they are !"

Our weather might have changed to become more variable and drastic , but forecasting just can't keep up.

old Nick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Don't take any notice of weather forecasting . They couldn't find their backsides with both hands !

I've had 4 sessions this year by going out and looking . Last night , despite the forecast of doom,I had a clear couple of hours. For some time I just stood and looked at Gemini and Auriga . Thinking " I know what's up there and where they are !"

Our weather might have changed to become more variable and drastic , but forecasting just can't keep up.

old Nick.

Have to agree Nick, forecast so often does not match local conditions.

I have been out for a short bino session on Sunday when it was clear for a while, which was nice,
but at present all cut short by still suffering from a Viral Infection of my ticker from over Christmas.

As others have said, the sky is still waiting just above those pesky clouds.

I haven't been out for ages due to cloud. The other problem I have had is when I notice it's clear I'm either doing something else or can't be bothering to go out!

11 hours ago, phil bod said:

Dont know about you guys but these constant cloudy skies up here in the nw coast of the uk are really gettin somwhat depressing...weeks of this thinks we have had one clear night in ages one night last week so a little opportunity to go test the Tal scopes ..concentrated on the constellation of Auriga ..lots of nice star clusters there but clear skie was hampered by the jets leaving there trails and they wer just spreading into a thin haze not blowing or goin anywere so that damped my spirits some what too...last night there was a few breaks early evening  a quick glimpse of the moon thru the tal 100r was soon overcome by cloud so not much i could see then the cloud finally covered up everything so back indoors and turned on the pc and did my stargazing by looking at the pc program stellarium to see what i can look for next time i get out under a clear sky...its harder than fishing this lol..hope you all dont suffer  this greyness day in and day out like were having at moment ...im suffering from S.A.D....i need the sun lol..the pic is looking east and as you can see its not stargazing weather been like this mostly for weeks up here

DSCN1062.JPG

Preston is nowhere near the north west of the UK. 

Edited by kippford

10 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

My wife is currently in Tenerife, 10 days so far with clear days and nights, not a cloud in sight, just emailed to say she's going to stop on for another week, 29c yesterday!      ?️

Is that the weather you are talking about?

9 hours ago, Gilez said:

I haven't been out for ages due to cloud. The other problem I have had is when I notice it's clear I'm either doing something else or can't be bothering to go out!

Pretty much this. On the occasions when I have got off my bum by the time I’ve set up the clouds have decided to return also. 

Illness induced fatigue doesn’t help either as staying up past even 930-10pm is a struggle and takes me a couple of days to recover from so my window of opportunity is even more curtailed. 

Hopefully spring will bring clear nights and I’ll be on the road to recovery. 

This winter has been been rather poor recently. Was hoping for afew good days over christmas

Been rough across the pond as well. l'll take the blame, seems since I've starting working part time, any day/night I have off is bad to terrible.

Lunar eclipse set for this Sunday, we have a cold front predicted to bring clouds and rain.

how the last few months has been for me when I look up on the NW coast

:clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1::clouds1:

By far the worst winter season for 25 years, and the previous years have been bad as well.  Week after week of cloudy grey overcast.

Yes I'd have to agree... it's one of the worst winters I can remember from the point of view of clear skies. When it has been clear the conditions have been pretty much rubbish. I'm doing a dark sky survey at the moment in the north of England and meter rreadings are well below where they should be . Actually way short of what I was getting in August. Just too much moisture in the air and not cold enough to dry them out with frost.

Hopefully the next few days may bring an opportunity for us here in the UK to get out.

I've booked a clear night for Monday Morning to watch and photograph the eclipse. ?

If it makes you feel any better, we have had several weeks of grey skies over here in Northern California. It's not supposed to happen here! I recently bought a new solar scope and am desperate to log some quality time at the EP. 

EDIT: Adding some proof!

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 6.23.34 PM.png

Edited by SacRiker