Narrowband

Huge Meteor

valleyman

10pm 14th jan.

Just seen a huge Meteorite. Came from about 10 degrees from due North. Went through Gemini and extended to Orion. Massive Green tail with red and White Head. 

It lasted no longer than 1/2 second. Was the largest brightest Meteorite I have ever seen. One of those once in a life time events. Would have missed it if the dog had not wanted to have a Pee.

Just stunned at the moment

Pat

Sounds like a special one.

Its been a good night for meteors. I spied a good one heading straight down through Perseus \ Cassiopeia border about an hour ago. Nothing on the scale of the Orion one that you guys describe, but it made me grin.?.

Paul

8 hours ago, valleyman said:

10pm 14th jan.

Just seen a huge Meteorite. Came from about 10 degrees from due North. Went through Gemini and extended to Orion. Massive Green tail with red and White Head. 

It lasted no longer than 1/2 second. Was the largest brightest Meteorite I have ever seen. One of those once in a life time events. Would have missed it if the dog had not wanted to have a Pee.

Just stunned at the moment

Pat

Fantastic.

Must have been a good night for them - just seen another one at around 5:45am around 20 degrees up, in the southern sky, travelling from east to west. Must have been extremely bright as the sky was pretty overcast with thinner cloud/ clearish patches.

It was the noise coming from it that attracted me to it. So Davey-T you did hear it.

Thought at first it was a firework. 

Just to Clarify just how big this Meteor was. First contact was in Gemini with the Head exploding close to Orions Belt.. The tail extended the whole distance between those two constellations.

The Tail was fluorescent Green, with the head being Red, Yellow and White. The width of the tail was the thickness of the little finger held at arms length

Glad to see I was not the only one to see it.

Pat

I saw a spectacular thin green streak in the sky as I was walking home at 10pm yesterday. I didnt hear anything or see an explosion at its head. But I did think that was the most amazing meteor I had ever seen! Such a vibrant green colour.

I was amazed to see it...I wonder if this was the same thing but viewed from Cambridgeshire :)

11 hours ago, festoon said:

I was walking from east to west (possibly south west west) at the time and it was straight ahead of me heading almost in the same direction

That ties in better with the other observations.

I wonder how the UK Meteor Net guys are doing with their triangulation?

Paul

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 22:59, Paul73 said:

Sounds like a special one.

Its been a good night for meteors. I spied a good one heading straight down through Perseus \ Cassiopeia border about an hour ago. Nothing on the scale of the Orion one that you guys describe, but it made me grin.?.

Paul

Each and every meteor I get to witness make's me smile! With the incredible ones, the smile is also accompanied with a WOW, THANK YOU!

Archived