Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evening 14/01/2019

Astro Imp

Just come in from a pleasant couple of hours viewing our neighbour.
Found it a bit frustrating as I kept getting clouded out but at least when the moon was in the clear it was nice to see some old favourites.
Started spending time on Plato, I think a couple of craterlets where briefly showing but couldn't be certain.  As the eastern wall was casting it's shadow on the floor it looked to me like a city outline. While in the region the Alpine Valley was quite prominent, looked for but couldn't see the rille in the bottom, suspect I need superb seeing and for the valley to be nearer the terminator, I've yet to see this feature for certain but won't give up.
The Teneriffe mountains were in a great position to show really well.
As I moved south caught Timocharis very close to the terminator, as the sun was catching the western wall this seemed very steep.
The chain of Ptolemaeus. Alphonsus and Arzachel were very prominent with Albertragius off to the west.
Spent a long time enjoying the straight wall, probably one of the best views I've enjoyed of this feature together with the two Birt craters to its west.
Interesting to see the floor of Clavius (one of my favourite craters} in deep shadow with the raised portions just catching the rising sun.
Overall a good couple of hours, great to be out instead of looking at the clouds we have had for what seems forever.
If you got this far thanks for reading.

7 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Nice report Astro Imp, glad you had a good session. 

I was hoping to myself but was defeated by the mosquitos, who were eating me alive! ?

Thanks Geoff, really enjoyed being out it's been so long.
Thankfully in my part of the UK I don't have to worry about mosquitos but I know they are a pest in other parts.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice report Alan.  Glad you got some action in at last!

Doug.

Thanks Doug, as I said it wasn't the best with the moon playing hide and seek but when it was visible it was enjoyable and surprisingly it wasn't cold or damp.

5 minutes ago, SIDO said:

Nice report, cloud all around here so I'll be taking what I get up too and including the eclipse. If I have to dance a little as you did, so be it ?

Thanks, seems the cloud is affecting us all, this was my first time out this year.
Hope you don;t miss the eclipse, I'm keeping my fingers cross for us all.
Good luck.

Archived