Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomica Astro Booth

Ikonnikov

Hi Folks, I've been thinking for a while about trying to increase my imaging time by either using remote scope hosting or getting my own observatory and am leaning towards the latter currently (if only I had the dosh to do both...). I currently image from a concrete-mounted metal pier in the corner of my back garden (mount/pier covered with a Telegizomo 365 when not in use) so was thinking of putting a simple small obsy over this (no requirements for warm room or doing visual from it). I don't have the time or skill level required to build my own (certainly to the quality I would be happy with!) so I'm looking at commercial options.

After some internet searching I came across the 'Astro Booth' http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGOABOOTH which seems to meet all my requirements and be reasonably good value compared with similar alternatives, being fairly compact/robust, relatively easy to construct myself (and dismantle if I have to move house) and with a motorised roof and delivery included in the price.

I've only come across one account (at least in English) of someone buying one and they seem to like it, although they used it in Spain so might take a bit more of a battering/soaking here in Yorkshire. Would be grateful if anyone else has encountered one or has any thoughts/opinions on it (good or bad) from the website material etc.

Cheers

Paul

Hi, Paul,

Presumably you favour a roll-off-roof design rather than a conventional dome.  And this one looks to be very cleverly designed and robust.  But might be worth mentioning that the Pulsar 7' dome is almost the same price.  Certain advantages to a dome - better protection from the wind and local light pollution, and a lower horizon.  By that I mean that with a ROR unless you have drop sides you need to mount the scope as high as possible, and if a GEM, park it to one side of the pier rather than in the usual polar position.  On the other hand you can only see a small part of the sky through a dome slot, and unless you motorise will have to keep nudging the dome round quite frequently.  But a variation on my own dome drive with pinch rollers on the Pulsar inner rim would be a low cost solution - I can get 3 or 4 hours unattended even with my 10" scope.  Maybe I'll get round to fully slaving to the 'scope, but generally it meets my needs admirably as is.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for your reply Peter. Yes, on balance I think a small roll off is probably the best option for me all things considered. The functionality of a dome is attractive and the price of the basic small pulsar within reach, but I think the added cost to allow full automation and the appearance in my smallish garden make a ROR option my preferred choice. 

Paul 

An interesting find Paul, I really like the small footprint of their RO Obsy and the quality of their build looks really good.

I have heard of a number of bad customer service reports of Pulsar, but I imagine that most don't find this out until someone goes wrong, lots of reports of condensation with the Pulsar as well. Not sure how Astrographs perform, however I also liked their collapsible Igloo model which may prove less susceptible to condensation and is moveable should the need arise.

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGOAIGLOO

image.png.e0930d139944ecb2d8588b55321cb1c2.png

The Igloo looks interesting, but that's a heck of a price for a fabric Observatory!  And I don't know if it would be suitable for the UK  climate.  Regarding condensation, any Observatory because it must essentially be unheated can be prone to condensation.  I have a small dehumidifier in mine which keeps it nicely dry.  The only time I don't run it is when it's windy - that causes a small flow of air via the dome overlap, so the dehumidifier would be drying the environment, and the airflow minimises condensation anyway.  Yes, there's a price to pay for it and the electricity to run it, but when you consider there is £1000s worth of kit in there, it's well worth it.

One thing I particularly like about the Astro Booth is the full height door!  I long ago lost count of the number of times I have banged my head going in and out of my Obsy, even though the door is fairly high on mine at 4'4" (132 cm).  I would suggest you get some cheap hard wearing carpet for the floor - easy to vacuum, warmer and more comfortable for the feet and easy as pie to fit - just lay the flooring panels on top of the carpet and cut it out before fitting the panels to the frame! See here.

Cheers,

Peter.

Archived