Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Recommended Posts

M104 at a focal length of 318mm? I must be crazy!  It was 4:30am and I had a bit of darkness left, so I decided to see how well the little FSQ 106 with the .6x reducer could portray the fabled M104-one of my favorite galaxies.  This is 29 1 min Lum subs, fully calibrated and lightly processed.  At regular viewing, M104 is indeed small and non-descript.  But at full resolution-the dust lane is obvious, as is the central bulge, and even a few of the encircling globulars.  I am not sure completing an LRGB image at this scale will be satisfying--I should do that with a longer FL--but it was a very rewarding experiment.  If I was better at processing star fields it would be a beautiful composition provided I had the requisite amount of data (ie..a bunch).

Rodd

M104.thumb.jpg.7871cc0cd1bc8752e25149f195ea9cbe.jpg

Edited by Rodd
Spelling
  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rodd

Glaxies set in context, like your fine WIP image above, really do work if the structure of the galaxy or cluster of galaxies is discernible.  Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Hi Rodd

Glaxies set in context, like your fine WIP image above, really do work if the structure of the galaxy or cluster of galaxies is discernible.  Well done.

Thanks, Barry.  I tried to grab more subs a couple nights later, but the conditions had deteriorated and 1 min subs resulted in a complete overexposure--there was a light haze.  This is in a very precarious location in the sky for me.  It will be interesting to see if I can get a full data set.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks lovely.

One thing that amazes me about this galaxy is that it always looks sharp in the images. The dust/shadow ring that is. If you look at your image - stars are quite fatter (due to seeing, sampling and small aperture used) than image of the galaxy would suggest.

Did you sharpen the galaxy alone (using some sort of star mask)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

It looks lovely.

One thing that amazes me about this galaxy is that it always looks sharp in the images. The dust/shadow ring that is. If you look at your image - stars are quite fatter (due to seeing, sampling and small aperture used) than image of the galaxy would suggest.

Did you sharpen the galaxy alone (using some sort of star mask)?

Indeed I did--but not very much as there isn't that much data and the effects were not very noticeable.    Conditions were not very good, and this is Lum, which is more sensitive than red.  FWHM values were not very good (nowhere near 1.6x the pixel scale--more like 3-3.5x).  Certainly, if I were to do this image for real, I would expect to toss many of these subs (maybe all of them).

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Indeed I did--but not very much as there isn't that much data and the effects were not very noticeable.    Conditions were not very good, and this is Lum, which is more sensitive than red.  FWHM values were not very good (nowhere near 1.6x the pixel scale--more like 3-3.5x).  Certainly, if I were to do this image for real, I would expect to toss many of these subs (maybe all of them).

Rodd

But still, galactic "edge" seems so well defined, and this is not the first time I've seen this. Interesting galaxy indeed!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

But still, galactic "edge" seems so well defined, and this is not the first time I've seen this. Interesting galaxy indeed!

Agreed--that's why I thought it was suitable for posting.  With more and better subs, I know I can resolve finer details within the dust lane--and perhaps the central bulge as well.  But alas...the Moon is back.  Ha tonight (the Boogie Man, not M104)

Rodd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice capture, even though it's small it's obvious what it is. Just don't let the tabloids see it, they will claim it's a UFO on the wat to destroy the earth!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job Rodd.  I've never seen M104 in such a wide field setting.  It's really striking just how lonely a galaxy can be!

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Petergoodhew said:

Nice job Rodd.  I've never seen M104 in such a wide field setting.  It's really striking just how lonely a galaxy can be!

Peter

Thanks, Peter!  I saw a deeper image of M104 and I was surprised at the number of galaxies in the background, including what can only be described as a double spiral.  I didn't hoot enough subs to capture them--maybe if I continue.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks cool... i like it, shows the vastness in which it situated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of this galaxy, and you've done it proud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Looks cool... i like it, shows the vastness in which it situated.

 

Thanks MG.  Now I am looking forward to finishing this one

Rodd

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seanelly said:

I'm a big fan of this galaxy, and you've done it proud!

Thanks Sean.  I have always wanted to shoot it at a long focal length--but I do like the wider FOV as well

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Sean.  I have always wanted to shoot it at a long focal length--but I do like the wider FOV as well

Rodd

It is the galaxy displayed on my profile page. Hopefully, by the time it is convenient for me to image (at 765 focal length) this spring, my gear and software will be familiar enough to me to capture it well enough to replace my profile page!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Seanelly said:

It is the galaxy displayed on my profile page. Hopefully, by the time it is convenient for me to image (at 765 focal length) this spring, my gear and software will be familiar enough to me to capture it well enough to replace my profile page!

That is a great thing to look forward to. I hope you get clear, dark skies for your shoot.  Looking forward to seeing your image.

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dinglem said:

Nice capture, even though it's small it's obvious what it is. Just don't let the tabloids see it, they will claim it's a UFO on the wat to destroy the earth!!

Thanks, Dinglem--Definitely more like a UFO than a sombrero. m But let's call it what it is....a "flying saucer"!

Rodd

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paul73 said:

A gem. Lovely work.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

Rodd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.