Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Micro-guttering for observatory roof?

michaelmorris

When opening the roof of my roll off roof observatory,  I sometimes get a small amount of water running off into the observatory.    Ideally, this could be solved by a length of guttering attached to the roof, so that it channels the water harmlessly outside.  The problem I'm having is that, in order not to snag on the end wall, the guttering needs to be VERY shallow (<20mm).  Any suggestions?

Where are the drips coming from?  Ideally any water falling onto the roof would run off and fall clear.  Perhaps you need a drip strip between your roofing material and the roof frame.  If your roof is retaining pockets of rainwater after a shower then that might cause further problems later on.

Prior to me installing guttering on mine, I was having a similar problem. When the roof is wet, unrolling it obviously creates vibration which dislodges the water causing drops and runs to form, which just drip inside the obsy when the roof is open. Just the laws of physics at work I think. Guttering helps remove water dripping off the roof, but not water dripping from the underside of the guttering!

Perhaps where there's not sufficient depth to add a gutter, some sort of (plastic?  metal?) lip that protrudes slightly above the plane of the roof might be sufficient?  I'm thinking that in heavy rain water might just flow over the top of it, but when there's just a little water on the roof it would either be stopped by the lip, or hit the lip and then run off to the sides?

James

My obsy roof slopes to the front and when i slide it any rain water runs to the front away from the open area,i used to get a few drops that came off the back end of the roof,so i ran a line of silicone along the top of the roof and that stopped the little that would drip......it that makes sence.

The pic is the back end of roof.

IMG_7775.JPG

There are adhesive j shaped rubber seals you can buy. Some of them are made for sides of vans or trucks. You can consider looking into them.

If they use the 3M vhb tape for attachment it's basically not going to come off. Those tape can have up to 90 ft-lb of holding power.

Small gutters are a leaf, twig, moss and larch needle magnet.
I fitted these smaller gutters between my shed and observatory and wish I hadn't.
The small down pipes also block all too easily with the falling debris.

A rolling roof might benefit from an edge rail to contain the inertial deluge.
Probably best fitted before the covering.

Yes I was wondering about leaves and pine needles for my guttering. There is a huge Scots pine in a neighbours garden which covers our garden with needles at some times of the year. I think this could be a problem, so will be watching out for that. I may put some traps in the gutters to stop the downpipe getting blocked.

Kev

10 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Yes I was wondering about leaves and pine needles for my guttering. There is a huge Scots pine in a neighbours garden which covers our garden with needles at some times of the year. I think this could be a problem, so will be watching out for that. I may put some traps in the gutters to stop the downpipe getting blocked.

Kev

I find that traps just allow stuff to build up against them and then block the water flow :(

One thing I have seen that I intend to try at some point is a mesh that fits in the top of the gutter, allowing water to drip through but blocking leaves and suchlike from getting in.  No idea if it works, mind.

James

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I find that traps just allow stuff to build up against them and then block the water flow :(

One thing I have seen that I intend to try at some point is a mesh that fits in the top of the gutter, allowing water to drip through but blocking leaves and suchlike from getting in.  No idea if it works, mind.

James

Yes I tend to agree. Difficult to know what to do for the best. An overflowing gutter is no fun either way, as I've discovered with a large hopper on the main house roof high above my kitchen door. This fills with debris a couple of times a year (that pine tree again!) causing massive overflows which come through the seals around my kitchen door, flooding the kitchen :( 

Archived