SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Nikon binos should I get? Beginner.

Saraneth

I did try another set if Nikon Extremes, in London, they still did not feel comfortable, but don't regret buying my Helios 8x40's. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/helios+naturesport/

Both in stock! .......sizes  40 and 50, both been  mentioned, and I'm  still a big Nikon fan, especially their cameras, but don't let me tempt you ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No-one likes waiting!
If its any consolation, I ordered something in December and it's still not here?  apparently  transiting  through  yet another German hub as we speak, but it's already been through several European capitals already, origin , Netherlands.

I'm sure its lost, but nothing I can do about it until more time has elapsed. It should have arrived by the 8th at the earliest, but that was still two weeks in the waiting?

latest up-date is for delivery on 17th by end of day.

Hope you don't have to wait as long!

If it helps your decision I have the Aculon 10x50’s and don’t particularly like them. The field of view is narrow and the eyepieces uncomfortable. 

The iq is quite good but not brilliant. The PENTAX SP’s I got recently however are brilliant. Wider fov, sharper image and better ergonomics. 

Na, it makes the decision harder lol. I am gonna stick with the Aculons for now and if they turn out to be uncomfortable I can try the Pentax ones out since they have a 60 Day Return Policy on Binoculars. https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/pages/why-choose-us

These will be my first binos, so I am probably gonna find them amazing since I have no other experiences to compare them with.

19 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

When I received my TS Marine 10x50 that adapter was in the pouch eventhough I had not ordered one, and it is not among the listed accessories. Don't know if TS wanted to offer me a little gift for my first order or if the thing is standard, but you might get one, too, just wait.

They are standard "inclusion" with some of the United Optics (which TS binocs are) binoculars. That is why I have several of these. ?

@BinocularSkyDo you think that they are better than the Aculons if the price was the same too?
What do you think makes them better?

I know Charic said he didn't like them, but I am pretty sure I'm gonna actually move up and get the Nikon EX Action CF 10x50 instead.

2 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

@Saraneth  Just had a look at the jacobsdigital web shop that you mentioned. I notice they do the Olympus DPS-1 10x50. In my opinion, this is better value for money than the Nikon Aculon, and it appears to be in stock.

The Olympus is a very good choice for a low budget. The only advantage Nikon Aculons have got is multi-coated optics compared to the single coated ones on the Olympus. Also the prism used in the Olympus is un-mentioned, but I believe it's the same BaK4.

Please be aware both are not water/fog proof, so a rapid change of temperature will cause severe fog to form inside the optics chamber. If you want a nitrogen/argon purged unit, you will have to splash out more cash or settle with some lesser brands.

3 minutes ago, KP82 said:

Please be aware both are not water/fog proof, so a rapid change of temperature will cause severe fog to form inside the optics chamber. If you want a nitrogen/argon purged unit, you will have to splash out more cash or settle with some lesser brands.

Yeah, that's why I am gonna upgrade to the Nikon Action Extremes. Nitrogen filled and waterproof. More eye relief and fully multi coated.

Also searched other places and the olympus ones mentioned above are bak7

2 hours ago, Saraneth said:

I know Charic said he didn't like them

Thats just my  own preference with the Nikon Extremes.  I bought them mid 2014. The person I sold them too on the auction site loved them, so said the feedback!

Steve, Binocularsky is well known for carrying out in-depth evaluations on binoculars, but ultimately your choice.

You would probably keep any binocular that  you come across  as long as you like them, and they feel comfortable . Subtle differences may not be apparent until you've  had a chance to look through several in order to compare. Many of us have several binoculars, because like spanners in a tool box, they'll do a very good job for one task, but maybe not what you expected on the next, hence the difference between  magnifications, apertures, and anything else the design has incorporated.

6 minutes ago, Saraneth said:

Yeah, that's why I am gonna upgrade to the Nikon Action Extremes. Nitrogen filled and waterproof. More eye relief and fully multi coated.

Also searched other places and the olympus ones mentioned above are bak7

The Action EX 10x50 is pretty expensive as a starter bino. I thought you were going to keep the cost down so as to save for the 10" dob?

Anyway here is a very good review of the Action EX: https://www.allbinos.com/index.html?test=lornetki&test_l=260

Looks like it's ok except for some severe coma.

Are there any dealers in your area that sell Vixen binos? I've got an Ascot ZR 8x42WP which is pretty solid.

The Nikon Action EX 12x50 and 7x35 have aspherical eye pieces the 10x50 dont 

this helps to keep a less distorted image towards the edge of the field of view and the 12x50's are my most used binoculars 

I dont know the price diferance between the 10x50 and 12x50 in your area but may be worth considering

I just love the bright clear image i get with them

3 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

@Charic - slightly ot but it is Nikon binocular related - did I read one of your posts where you mentioned you have the 8x30 EXII’s. 

Been lusting after some for years and am starting to think I better pull the trigger soon than later before they become unobtainable...

Sorry, never owned any Nikon 8x30's.

I bought the Action EX 10x50. It's done! No more looking back. Only looking up! ? ?

Can't wait for them to arrive.

Looking at all the reviews for them I am confident I made a good choice.
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Action-Extreme-All-Terrain-Binocular/product-reviews/B0001HKIK4/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

@Saraneth Good choice. The Action EX 10x50 came top of the "six of the best" comparison I recently did for BBC Sky at Night mag. I really liked them.

Re BK7 vs BAK4 (or even BaK-4 ?  ) - most of it is advertising hype, especially where budget binoculars are concerned (see why here). The best binoviewers use BK7.

And, in response to your (now moot) question about the Aculon vs Oly - yes, I prefer the Oly. But the Action EX is a cut above them both; I'm sure you'll love it!

It's a bit late now but I'm thinking I should have got the 12x50 Action EX since they have aspherical lenses and the 10x50 don't. I was just worried about handheld shakiness.
I also read that given the 12x50's lower field of view the amount of undistorted space you can see in both is about the same.
Honestly though, if I had got them I would be here saying the exact same thing about the 10x50's and how I wish I got them... lol

Still waiting for them to arrive. Damn weekend. Hurry up Monday! Or maybe Tuesday...

Edit: Just read that page you linked. That's crazy that they can lie like that. Really does pay to ask people at places like this before you buy.

Edit 2: Which issue of the mag did you do the comparison in? I see I can do a trial subscription for 2 months for 99p.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:03, Saraneth said:

Oh damn, you are right. It's been about a week on multiple forums and like few hundred google searches to arrive at the Aculon 10x50's. I will regret it if I just go and change now.

Haha, thanks for the slap. I will wait. :)

Your new Nikon Aculons 10x50s are like a small binoscope...and when they finally arrive and you get your first 10x views through them, you'll be glad you waited.

P.S.  You'll always have an opportunity to add to your array of binoculars as your enjoyment for astronomy grows.  A new pair of Nikon Aculon 10x50s are certainly an enviable way to start out your celestial observing with.  There is no perfect pair of binoculars that does everything a user wants....they all have thier attributes....at least the good ones anyway.  But if your expectations are for exciting binocular views of the heavens....then you've obviously made the right choice.  Good for you!

Klitwo

6 hours ago, Klitwo said:

Your new Nikon Aculons 10x50s are like a small binoscope...and when they finally arrive and you get your first 10x views through them, you'll be glad you waited.

P.S.  You'll always have an opportunity to add to your array of binoculars as your enjoyment for astronomy grows.  A new pair of Nikon Aculon 10x50s are certainly an enviable way to start out your celestial observing with.  There is no perfect pair of binoculars that does everything a user wants....they all have thier attributes....at least the good ones anyway.  But if your expectations are for exciting binocular views of the heavens....then you've obviously made the right choice.  Good for you!

Klitwo

In the end I didn't get the Aculon 10x50's. Didn't want to wait all those extra weeks. Instead, I got the Action EX 10x50's.

I'm sure I will love them. I do not have any others to compare them with so it's gonna be amazing.

5 hours ago, Saraneth said:

In the end I didn't get the Aculon 10x50's. Didn't want to wait all those extra weeks. Instead, I got the Action EX 10x50's.

I'm sure I will love them. I do not have any others to compare them with so it's gonna be amazing.

Still a very good choice.  You won't be disappointed with the bino view with those Action EX 10x50s either.  A binocular observing chair is also another item to think about down the road to enjoy your new binocs with too.  The following link will give you some good ideas about the different kinds and types of binocular chairs....>

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9DWczq0NcIbAAKK1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNzR0aHVuBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjQ4NTNfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=binocular+observing+chairs&fr=yfp-t

Keep Looking Up!

Klitwo

Archived