Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova in NGC3254 (SN2019np)

alanjgreen

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve just spent a couple of happy hours attempting to observe this one. Wasn’t supposed to be clear, but turned out nice.

Not a definite observation. Something there which is in the right sort of orientation to the galaxy core. Being surprised by clear sky and thoroughly excited about getting some time with the scope, I didn’t print off any of the images or take a sketch pad out with me. Bare in mind that the majority of the really faint stars are not on any chart, so an image clearly showing the Galaxy and surrounding stars is vital. Or, a good detailed sketch will do for latter comparison.

I was using a 16” Dob and TV Plossls. First up. I hit NGC3245 (mag 10.8) by mistake nice and bright, so not a bad place to go from. It’s identity was verified by following the direction of drift past a distinctive pair of stars and straight onto NGC3237 (mag 11.7), then back to NGC3265 (mag 12.7) to confirm my position. A hop straight up to NGC3254 (mag 11.7). Spent a good hour of  trying different mags, scope wobbling, blinking etc. As mentioned, there is something there, but I need another session to claim a definite identification.

Hoping for another moonless session soon.

Paul

Great description of star hopping (well ok, galaxy hopping, same principle).  Also just to show that mega widefield eyepieces are not the only way to go......

“Wasn’t supposed to be clear but it was”, usually vice-versa........☹️

Ed.

Can’t afford decent wide field eyepieces! It is a lot easier with a case full of Ethos ?.

Thanks for you comments on the galaxy hopping. A 70mm finder scope helps, but after that, you have to get creative.

Paul

I bagged SN 2019np this morning after 3am!

I saw it with the Ethos 13 (x150) & Ethos 10 (x200) then swapped to Night Vision and got it with the 55mm Plossl (x38).

The Moon was due to go at 4am so the sky was darkening all the time.

Here is my sketch of the star formation and SN 2019np.

image.png.e103e39f25af40b00c9cef277a8ae24d.png

With the Ethos 13 and 10, I basically saw the galaxy + SN and stars marked A,B,C that was about it. I saw many more stars with the Night Vision plus the galaxy core.

Hope you can get it too?

Alan

Well done. Your sketch is pretty much exactly what I saw. Although, it was harder work with only 16” to work with ?. There are a couple of faint stars either side of the core in the images which look the same brightness as the Supernova. I was concerned that I had seen one of them. They are obviously dimmer if you didn’t catch them. So I’ll claim my observation as “verified” too! Thanks for posting the sketch.

Paul

1 minute ago, Paul73 said:

There are a couple of faint stars (one) either side of the core in the images which look the same brightness as the Supernova.

Yep, I saw both of those two stars with the Night Vision, they were both dimmer than the SN. I have them both on my "live" sketch but I just wanted to put fewer stars on the orientation sketch.

Alan

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:50, Mark at Beaufort said:

I notice that yesterday the mag was estimated at 13.5 - hopefully the skies will be clear over the weekend

Just had a look at it with 10"SCT and it looks brighter than last time I looked, comparing it to adjacent stars maybe mag 13.7.

A bit foggy but will have a go at imaging it before the Moon gets too high.

Dave

Got it visually last night. There was a period of good seeing around midnight.

The Galaxy was clear and large (in 16” f4 Dob at approx x105 mag 5.25ish Sky), not much of a core visually, which might hinder those with more LP or fewer inches. The SN was clear and unmistakable at mag 13-14 ish direct vision.

I wonder how long it will last?

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Got it visually last night. There was a period of good seeing around midnight.

The Galaxy was clear and large (in 16” f4 Dob at approx x105 mag 5.25ish Sky), not much of a core visually, which might hinder those with more LP or fewer inches. The SN was clear and unmistakable at mag 13-14 ish direct vision.

I wonder how long it will last?

Paul

Yep, me too. SN2019np was much brighter & easier last night. I could see the galaxy disk in the 20” but the two faint stars close in on either side were much fainter. So, I also agree that conditions were not as good as my first sighting on the 17th Jan.

I got it just after 1am. I was using the 55mm plossl and night vision device at x38 magnification.

Alan

I tried last night with the 12" Dob and I needed averted viewing to see the galaxy. I think it was partly because the view was just above the house and looking towards Hereford with some LP.

As you can guess I did not see the SN.

I will hopefully try again if the sky remains clear over the next few days but wait for Leo Minor to rise higher.

Archived