Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Heyyy its me again! Today me and my friend went out to observe! We spotted the moon and focused on it,took some okay pictures with my phone without an adapter( that means having to hold up my phone over the eyepiece 's tiny  hole). Then we tried moving towards mars, relatively close to the moon. It wanst a dot but like a small circle with some colour, afterwards we moved towards stars,but instead of seeing these circles with the secondary s reflection in the middle, we saw small circles (like mars but smaller) they were green blue and red coloured i didn't think much of it but then i checked the mirror. And i saw some dust.... Pics bellow.Is it the mirror or is this normal? Also if its the mirror, how do i clean it without removing it, i have a celestron firstscope btw. 

Thanks.

IMG_20190113_202334.jpg

IMG_20190113_190302.jpg

IMG_20190113_190009.jpg

From what I can see thats a perfectly normal amount of dust - just leave it, it wont affect your viewing and you could damage your mirrors finish trying to clean it.

Some telescopes have giant holes in the middle, and it doesnt affect the viewing so a few specks of dust will be fine ;)

• Like 1

Thanks but can you explain what i saw? I sawSmall circles (blue green red colour) where stars are supposed to be. 

Small circles with a dark centre are usually what an out of focus star looks like through a scope that has a secondary obstruction, like the newtonian does.

• Like 1

I think the coloured dots are a photographic artifact,  I don't  expect a phone would be sensitive enough to show stars that close to the Moon. Ignore the dust on the mirror for the reasons already mentioned.      ?

• Like 1

I m not talking about those.i m talking very small spread out ones (bigger than the ones shown in the picture with 3 small circles of red green  Blue  with a black circle where stars are supposed to be.

Thanks Im looking towards one star but i see many small circles , thats normal right?

Your scope looks normal but what you describe is not normal

What happens to the circles when you move the focuser in and out ?

As dweller25 has implied, did you refocus the scope  after moving from the moon to Mars ? I'm assuming the circles that you mention are when you look through the eye piece and not on your camera/image.

If it is just a focussing issue, the star will look something like the image in this post. This is a fairly extreme example, but will give you the general idea.

Kronos831, I'd get your scope out again, point it at a star and use the focusing knob/wheel to bring the star to a pin point of light.

I think because you focused on the moon you may of thought you didn't need to refocusing again for stars.

Always check the focus when moving from target to target and especially when changing eye piece.

Let us know how you get on.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Welsh Dave
      Hello There,
      I was wondering if you could help me. I am currently making a setup but I would like to add a good finderscope onto my Celestron Starbright XLT scope. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
      Welsh Dave

• By Nistelboy
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this forum but not particularly new to astronomy. 
      Anyway, I have an issue and I'm hoping that there is someone here who can help or at least point me in the right direction.

I have a celestron advanced VX which I have now owned for probably 5 years or so, I lost a bit of interest in astronomy so all of my equipment went away and I have just recently started it all up again.
      Iwas powering the mount using an RAC heavy duty jump starter, which, admittedly, I haven't been keeping on charge! So there is a fair chance it is dead/on it's way out. So I purchased a talentcell 8300 from Amazon, it arrived today (12th) and I plugged in straight in to the mains to charge up, as soon as it was fully charged I plugged it in to my mount and nothing, literally nothing at all, no lights, no reponse, it's as if I had not plugged it in. So I plugged one of my RAC units in, one of them, when fully charged, will power the mount but not fully, the power LED comes on but the backlight on the HC does not and all I can see on the display is "boot start".
      I then tried to power the mount via the same 12v cable as I was using from the RAC units but with the power pack plugged in a charging too, this all worked exactly as expected, everything turned on, I can input into the HC and the motors all respond to input. I have noticed that the power LED on the 12v cigarette connector does dim dramatically as soon as I turn the avx on (when plugged in to the RAC pack). 
      I purchased the talentcell unit as I had noticed on other forums that people were using it for the same mount, it is rated as 12v and 6A output so all should be ok. I have not had a chance to check anything with my multimeter, and, honestly, I'm not that handy with one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Many thanks

• By Gryffster
      Hi - I'm a relative newcomer to telescopes with goto - still trying to figure them out.
      I have a problem with Goto on the 8SE.
      Alignment usually works (Not always, but usually)

I believe my set up is correct - time and date, DST and UTC (It's currently BST in the UK)

I usually use 2-star alignment (Currently, most convenient for me are Sirius and Procyon)
      Alignment usually succeeds, but goto just doesn't. The scope slews away, sometimes even to a completely different part of the sky from the selected object (I'm familiar enough with
      the sky to be able to identify several bright stars without assistance)
      Bizarrely, this happens even if the goto object is one of the alignment stars - how could it possibly not be able to find a star when you've explicitly told it where it is?
      I've read that goto sometimes doesn't work well on battery power, so I've aquired a mains adapter. No change.
      I haven't yet updated the handset firmware (I'm waiting for a serial-usb adapter.)
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Thanks
    • By The-MathMog
      Because of the current situation, I have, as many of you guys probably have too, spend a lot more time under the stars when possible.

It has literally been over a year since last I was out doing some astrophotography because of work.

So here is my second take after the long break, NGC 3344 (The Sliced Onion Galaxy).
      Initially I thought it would be a lot fainter than it was, so it was basically a shot in the dark, of just trying to get back at doing this.
      But the final image actually showed a lot more detail than I would've hoped for!
      Spring lent a lot of clear night, but those seems to be gone already. I would've hoped for a few more hours to add some more luminance data to it, as I did have to push it quite a bit.
      I am not too happy with the shape of the stars either. Guiding was not very stable through the night, even though balance and polar alignment seemed to be good. Might need to update my Celestron PEC data? 

Any advice or feedback is very welcome! 🤩
      NGC 3344 (Sliced Onion Galaxy)
      Flat and Dark calibrated
      Gain 111
      Offset 40
      Total Integration - 5 Hours 4 minutes  (LRGB)
      ZWO ASI 183MM-Pro
      Baader 2'' Neodymium Filter
      Baader 1,25'' RGB Filters
      ZWO Mini EFW
      Explore Scientific Coma Corrector
      ToupTek Camera G-1200-KMB Mono Guider
      Orion Mini 50mm Guidescope
      Photoshop CS2
      Deep Sky Stacker
      Stellarium/Stellarium Scope
      Astrotortilla

• By JonCarleton
      It figures!  First clear night in ages and the pollen is as thick as..well, something really thick.  Up to now, I have been fairly careful to avoid dust getting down the tube, but pollen is going to be unavoidable for the next several weeks.
      So...what does one do?  Are there some do and don't things I should be aware of?  It looks like my mirror comes out fairly easy (SkyWatcher 10" ).  I'm guessing  "chuck into the dish washer on the pot scrubber setting" is probably a really bad idea.
      What then, is the plan?  What chemicals/detergents should be used...or maybe all chemicals should be avoided?  Is it a no-touch surface?  Is there perhaps some magic spray that one uses?  I do have a can of electronics air that I plan to use from a safe distance to persuade away loose pollen, and that may be enough for the present.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.