Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planet Killer Cheap On ABS

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Geoff Barnes said:

It's funny, since being here in Oz and used to their huge distances a 5 hour drive from southern England to Wigan  is just up the road, lol. we wouldn't hesitate to get it.  

It's not just the time, I guess, but the fuel cost too.  A round trip to Wigan is about 450 miles from where I live, so in the region of £50 in fuel on top of the eight hours plus of driving.

James

You are be too late I'm afraid chaps, just paid for it! Now need to plan a trip to get it!!

I've wanted one of these for ages, I missed out on one with an OO dob mount for £350 a few years ago which was similar. I'm getting an AZEQ6 soon so might try it on that, but I'll probably get an OO dob mount and stick it on my EQ platform. Should be tasty on the moon too.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

You are be too late I'm afraid chaps, just paid for it! Now need to plan a trip to get it!!

I've wanted one of these for ages, I missed out on one with an OO dob mount for £350 a few years ago which was similar. I'm getting an AZEQ6 soon so might try it on that, but I'll probably get an OO dob mount and stick it on my EQ platform. Should be tasty on the moon too.

Very nice Stu. I have met Tom really nice guy. I thought about buying this OTA and using binoviewers - hopefully I will see it one day when we meet up again.

Thanks chaps. I have yet to work out the logistics, but am sure I can make something work. Could even pick up the dob mount from OO at the same time if I can coordinate it!

More likely to use this at home for space reasons but could maybe squeeze it in for Lucksall Mark.

Hmmm. New problem. OO no longer make the longer dob mounts to fit this scope. Chances of finding one used are pretty slim I imagine, so I might be DIYing one. Might try a very speculative wanted ad.... 

As silly as it sounds could you not use appropriate length bolts to raise the sides and backs the required amount? You could use wooden fillers to close the gaps for aesthetic reasons if needed. Otherwise as you say making one is the other option although I'd suggest a wider footprint than the original if doing this.

• 3 months later...

A quick update on this, and a big thanks to Tom for his patience! I finally managed to co-ordinate a trip up north with collecting the scope on Sunday. 

I had a nice couple of nights away for a bit of father/son bonding in the Lake district, near Glenridding. I'm still recovering from a trek up Helvellyn, I should know better at my age!

Anyway, the scope....

.... I was pleasantly surprised at the size. Much smaller and more manageable than I was expecting which is great. It is in cracking condition, very nice to and with certificate for the 1/10th mirror set.

I will likely have to try it on my GP-DX for a while, before I have a chance to build a dob mount for it. Will post pictures soon.

The scope is home finally, so I very quickly set it up on the most unsuitable mount possible, the Ercole on a Gitzo tripod ??

The moon is only just pulling above the hedge and is still very hazy but at least I can claim first light. It collimated very easily with the laser, not being far out at all despite a long and bumpy journey.

Will have a look a little later, but I'm seeking refuge from mosquitoes the size of dragonflies at the moment! Need some repellent!

20190418_201756.jpg

20190418_201813.jpg

20190418_201824.jpg

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Had exactly the same OTA a few years ago. Clear winner over my C11 on planets. Eventually replaced it with an OD350.

Wish I still had it though. ?

That's interesting John. Looking forward to trying it out properly, probably going to have to build that dob mount first though. Not sure I fancy balancing the Gitzo on the EQ Platform!!

Great looking scope Stu :smiley:

It would be very interesting to put that up against a top 6 inch apo refractor.

It looks like it's from the same era as my 12 inch. The focusser and extension tube on your scope are the same that my 12" F/5.3 came with originally.

17 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Oh Stu, a 8" f/8 with 1/10th wave! It can only be wonderful. Looks amazing too! Congratulations :)

Thanks Chris, yes it is very nice from what I can tell so far. Very manageable tube which is not what I was necessarily expecting, should be good!

13 minutes ago, John said:

Great looking scope Stu :smiley:

It would be very interesting to put that up against a top 6 inch apo refractor.

It looks like it's from the same era as my 12 inch. The focusser and extension tube on your scope are the same that my 12" F/5.3 came with originally.

Gavin has kindly offered the TEC160 for that job John! That might be a little unfair on a 200 quid scope but will be fun!

Focuser is not the best, but seems perfectly adequate for the job. Smooth and precise enough.

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

It amuses me that the secondary looks so tiny :)

James

It is an 18% secondary obstruction James, so contrast should be very nice. It does look tiny!

Archived