Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What lens is best

Hi. I’m kind of new to stargazing and I want to view mars. On the website I bought my telescope from it says that planetary observation can be done with clear images being produced but I can’t see much of Mars and I was wondering what eyepiece would be best it has a 114 mm apature.

thanks for any help you can provide.

image.jpg

That looks like a type with 900mm focal length (so F/7.9), which would mean an EP around 8mm focal length would be optimal. The ubiquitous Plössl design is good quality-wise, but has a very short eye relief (distance from lens to optimal eye position) at these short focal lengths. This is not a great problem if you don't wear glasses when observing.  However, if you need glasses when observing (e.g. due to cylindrical astigmatism), so-called "Planetary" eyepieces are rather more comfortable, and often have a slightly bigger field of view. They are pretty cheap too. The more expensive Vixen SLVs are great, both in terms of eye relief and image quality. Please note that Mars is rather far away at the moment, and will show only as a very small red disk, or perhaps a slight gibbous phase. The above EPs will also serve you well on the moon.

11 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

That looks like a type with 900mm focal length (so F/7.9), which would mean an EP around 8mm focal length would be optimal. The ubiquitous Plössl design is good quality-wise, but has a very short eye relief (distance from lens to optimal eye position) at these short focal lengths. This is not a great problem if you don't wear glasses when observing.  However, if you need glasses when observing (e.g. due to cylindrical astigmatism), so-called "Planetary" eyepieces are rather more comfortable, and often have a slightly bigger field of view. They are pretty cheap too. The more expensive Vixen SLVs are great, both in terms of eye relief and image quality. Please note that Mars is rather far away at the moment, and will show only as a very small red disk, or perhaps a slight gibbous phase. The above EPs will also serve you well on the moon.

Thanks a lot this should really help me

Archived