Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

mark81

My first Lunar Observation

So I've spent many hours out with the ST80 using it for what it does best.  This year I have been wanting to get into something new, something I could learn lots more about and thought about the Moon.  I realise that when you think of Lunar observing, an ST80 may not spring to mind... But here goes.

I started out today at 16.15, with my 6mm UWA which gave x66. Nice crisp craters down the Terminator. I picked out two large craters which looked like a pair of black eyes looking back at me and scanned my Moon Maps and found them to be Aristotles and Eudoxus. Mag wasn't enough to see any detail around or in them so I bumped up the 6mm with a Barlow and with some very careful focusing was very pleased with the result considering the scope I'm using.  I saw some nice subtle detail below Eudoxus which I believe to be some peaks.  I picked out the flat expanse of Mare Frigoris and even the crater Mitchell which sits right next to Aristotles.  I took a few sketches and borrowing an idea from an old astronomy book I have I came up with this.... Thanks for looking

1547313326234726468563.jpg

• Like 12

Really impressive bottom sketch! I really like it and hopefully I will have the opportunity to try lunar sketching myself when it clears up again..

• Thanks 1

Nice report and good sketch! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Rob

• Like 1

Great. Well done on the sketch, what a super session you had. I love lunar observing and it’s especially nice with binoviewers if ever you get chance to try some.

keep up the good work.

Steve

• Like 1