Narrowband

AZGTI/alignment/SkySafari 6 plus

Steve Clay

Hi, 

Have installed SkySafari 6 plus on my Huawei 8 inch tablet along with the SW synscan app. After loads of googling I can connect and control the scope.

Not had a chance to use it in earnest yet, but my questions are:

Should I do an alignment using the synscan app of just use the align function in sky safari. If the latter to I need to start north and level and drive the scope to the alignment star or can I just release the clutch and manually place the star in the fov then select align. Then driving the scope to the 2nd/ 3rd star?

Second question regarding tracking with sky safari. Is the lock function the tracking? 

Cheers Steve

I have not tried the combination you are using but I have used Cartes Du Ciel slewing the scope using ASCOM via the Sysnscan Pro app and the appropriate Synscan drivers to facilitate this.

The advice given by SKyWatcher is that you do all of the alignment via the Synscan App. The most reliable method I have found is to start with the scope North aligned and level.

I then use 2 star alignment, moving the scope to the first star using the controls on the Synscan App (I do not release the clutches and move it manually). I then let the scope slew to the second star automatically and use the controls to get the final alignment.

Hope this helps.

Tony

4 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

Is the lock function the tracking? 

No. Locking just makes the screen display  move as the scope moves so the FOV indicator stays centred. Otherwise the FOV circle moves across the screen.

Tracking is switched on when  you align the first star in Synscan or synch in SS6, unless you go into Synscan and switch it off.

Archived