Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC281 Ha with the Skywatcher Mak-Newt 190mm

SteveL

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Steve @ FLO sent me the Skywatcher Autofocuser, and sadly it will not fit on the MakNext. The focuser kit relies on mounting to the usual flat section (with the 4 screws) that appears on the underside of previous focusers, but the focuser on the MakNext is completely different. The body of the focuser is round all the way around, with just two thumbscrews to adjust the tension. Shame really, but I`ll just have to be extra careful with the manual focus until I am lucky enough to get a Moonlight unit to try.

Its looking like a clear sky for me Friday night (but bl__dy freezing cold!), so I`m really hoping to get some RGB image sequences captured before I freeze to death in the garden :hello2: It also looks like the wind will be less of an issue this time, so hoping for nice round stars. I have a shortlist of targets, but will have to wait and see what the sky conditions are like before a final decision.

Ah, yes... good call...Maybe I`ll try it with a dodgy cardboard cutout version :hello2:

( /me adds that to list of thing to get done soon )

This is the pukka first order drain cover :p lots of very fine slots.... do you want that as a template? ..i would advise against it unless you have a steady hand....and kevlar gloves....

10392_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Billy...

Its only a stopgap solution until the real drain covers arrive :hello2:

Pic added...

I might have to send the drain cover un-painted though ... as thats the sticking point at the moment... i would paint it afetr teh tabs have been folded a quick was tehn in the oven at 50C to dry off quick spray then bake at 100C for 15-20 mins... winds the OG up a treat...

That and drying sand for the grit blaster in the microwave....

... its not a newt, its a MakNewt

We are receiving a lot of inquiries asking how the Mak-Newt compares optically to a regular Newtonian. Weather permitting, SteveL will soon post an image that will demonstrate its advantages. Until then, here is an explanation:

A Mak-Newt is made entirely from spherical surfaces. Spherical surfaces are perfect for mass production, they can be easily and affordably ground and polished to a very high surface accuracy, hence the Mak-Newts reputation for razor-sharp, high resolution, high contrast views. By comparison, a fast Newtonian must have steep parabolic curves that are considerably more difficult to manufacture so, unless you spend serious sums of money, you cannot expect anything like the same surface-finish accuracy.

There are also practical advantages to having a sealed tube: less air currents and the mirror is protected from the elements. The only downside to a Mak-Newt is that its front corrector lens attracts dew (you'll need a dew-heater-tape) and the scope takes longer to cool, otherwise the design and performance is superior in every way to a regular Newtonian.

The Skywatcher 190MN Maksutov Newtonian is a keeper so will be with us whenever we attend a star-party, feel free to find us and to compare it alongside any similar spec Newtonian :)

HTH

Archived