Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

Well I thought I would have a try at the comet. Surprised it could be seen. I did the stacking of 30 second frames in ISO 800 in DSS comet mode. Quite pleased with the result but would like to know how to guide on a comet! I tried phd2 but noting seemed to work. Anyone who actually can do it willing to share their wisdom? 

Taken on Skywatcher 150pds Canon 550d

Wirtanen_46P.thumb.JPG.d484a989120253fd6107c5d0f515d6d4.JPG 

Gerry

• Like 4

Super result Gerry, I've guided on the core of bright comets but PHD can get side tracked in a dense star field like this and start tracking on a passing star.

It's "easier" using the SCT and OAG as the smaller FOV means less stars.

Dave

Not sure if that makes sense, can't be less stars, perhaps the stars are further apart :icon_scratch:

Edited by Davey-T

I'm actually using a OAG on mine with the 750 so it's not as small as a guide scope but yes see what you mean. I know there is a way to do it in CDC but I struggled with it. So I kept exposure length right down. Hopefully someone will share their hard earned wisdom. 

Glad you like it. Not bad but could have been brilliant if I was able to guide on it :)