Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED frac... what size to go for?

2 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

That all said, there is an ad for an older Celestion CR6 on ABS right now that I keep staring at for £250

if in good order, that’s a lot of scope for quality eyepiece money.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Celestron refractor. They make brilliant SCTs and mounts, but it ends there. Their refractors and EPs aren't the best, TBH. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Celestron refractor. They make brilliant SCTs and mounts, but it ends there. Their refractors and EPs aren't the best, TBH. 

Duly noted, and obliged.

i was aware their current range of smaller fracs were thought poorly of, but had read of favourable ownership of the CR6.

For interests sake, may I ask why did you away with the fracs? Did you move up the ladder, or away from them entirely?

17 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

They are the same scope as the Skywatcher Evostar 150. Synta made these for Celestron a long time before they took over the rest of Celestron.

So the CR6 has exactly the same pros and cons as the Skywatcher and other brandings of the 150mm F/8 achromat. I've owned about 4 of these over the years I think !

Nick / cotterless45 does very well with his !

13 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

Duly noted, and obliged.

i was aware their current range of smaller fracs were thought poorly of, but had read of favourable ownership of the CR6.

For interests sake, may I ask why did you away with the fracs? Did you move up the ladder, or away from them entirely?

Pressing circumstances, I'd say. We bought a house and then literally two months later I lost my job. I had to sell my astronomy equipment to survive. Rebuilding my arsenal slowly but surely now. 

The 6" frac on the right is not far off from an Apo and is built like a tank and has 3" focuser.  I owned 3 apos and 4 achros, but this one has always been my favourite. 

20 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

A bit harsh I think Emad.

I have owned and used a Celestron XLT 102 ED scope, which was as good as the Skywatcher ED 100 scopes that I have used in the past, including a Champagne coloured example, and the Celestron Ultima eyepieces are really quite superb, certainly as good as the Tele Vue plossl, IMHO

1 minute ago, Saganite said:

A bit harsh I think Emad.

I have owned and used a Celestron XLT 102 ED scope, which was as good as the Skywatcher ED 100 scopes that I have used in the past, including a Champagne coloured example, and the Celestron Ultima eyepieces are really quite superb, certainly as good as the Tele Vue plossl, IMHO

ED, you said it. I only used achro ones.  

I found the SW and therefore the Celestron achromats of variable quality. I've owned and used both the 120mm F8.3 achro and the 150mm F8 as well as a couple of 100mm Star Travels, and all were really quite nice scopes. Three of my observing buddies bought 150mm F5 achros, two of which were excellent while one suffered terribly from SA. He returned it and was given another that was very good. A Midlands supplier sold two 120mm achros to a friend and both had terrible SA. After returning the first then the second the sales person said "Well what do you expect for the money"? (Obviously the man was an imbecile)! My friend told him that he expected the telescope to work! Then asked for a full refund. With the SW/Celestron achros, you pay your money and take your chance. The chances are you'll get a good refractor, but it won't ever be a stunning high power scope and it will have significant CA, but as a comet seeker or deep sky scope it will be pretty darn good! While the 100 and 120 versions can be carried by an EQ5, the150mm needs a significant mount and a sturdy tripod to do it justice!

I'd just like to add that I really loved my SW150 F8 achromat, until it was slaughtered by a 102mm Vixen Fluorite apo. Bigger isn't always better!

1 hour ago, emadmoussa said:

Pressing circumstances, I'd say. We bought a house and then literally two months later I lost my job. I had to sell my astronomy equipment to survive. Rebuilding my arsenal slowly but surely now. 

The 6" frac on the right is not far off from an Apo and is built like a tank and has 3" focuser.  I owned 3 apos and 4 achros, but this one has always been my favourite. 

Ah, forgive me. I saw your earlier photo and thought well that’s pretty much what I have, and so thoroughly enjoy.

Thanks @AstroPhil looks pretty neat. Didn’t know about this one. Still trying to talk the boss round to the general idea of needing a new scope. She’s not yet convinced. The price of the WO might be a hard sell - and for me as well if I’m honest against the lighter and much less pricy Sky-Watcher. Although the Altair 125EDF has caught my eye too...

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/01/2019 at 01:23, marcus_z said:

Thanks for the tip, the 2 Inch long riser looks great and works well

39D2BA0C-C899-4193-88CD-D05D689F25B5.jpeg

Archived