SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good EP under 80$ for a slow scope : f/13

Hapii

Hi there,

It's about the only scope i have : celestron nexstar 4se f/13 102mm 1325mm.

i know that i want a 9 to 13mm at first to observe planet and later a 30 to 32 mm for nebulas other wonders.

I did a lot of search and discussions about what EP i should get (because i have only on for the moment : 25mm plossl).
I first though of Hyperion 10mm at 120€ but people told me that it's expensive for what it is because it shows some aberations and soft edges.
I then tended to the ES 82° 11mm for 149€ but people told me the eye relief was something around 13mm but that it was a really good EP.

So i hesitaded a lot, then i saw that a lot of people are saying that fast scope are much more forgiving concerning "bad quality" eyepiece and you can get good views with low price EP.
I am now like: ok then, actually i shouldn't even get an Hyperion, i just should get a cheap but somewhat good plossl or something.

Do you know any good EP under 80$ ? 

i saw some :

Orion Expanse  9 mm 49€
Omegon Cronus WA 9 mm 59€
Omegon UWA 9mm 59€

Do you have some other ideas ?

Thank you very much,

Just to be clear, f13 is slow, not fast, so will be forgiving in terms of edge correction. I believe the Hyperions should work ok at this focal ratio although I haven't used them myself. ES 82 degree are very good but more expensive. I'll let others comment on the ones you have listed.

Hi Hapii, the best all round eyepieces are the TS-Optics 1,25" ED Eyepieces, they have a 60º AFoV and have aound 15-18mm eye relief, at €94 they are a very competitive price found here: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c70_Eyepieces-1-25-inch-with-big-field.html

BTW, the Baader Hyperions should work well in your scope as it is not a fast scope. Good luck with your choices!

• Hapii changed the title to Good EP under 80$ for a slow scope : f/13

Looking on the Astroshop.eu  website both the Orion and the Omegan UWAs look very similar to the Skywatcher SWAs that no longer seem to be available. I had the 9mm SW SWA and tbh I wasn't that impressed with it. The Cronos WA looks very similar to the TS Optics HR which in turn will I think be a TMB planetary ii clone. Of the two I'd pay the little extra and go for the TS which are of known quality. These are not bad EPs for the money and should work well in the 4SE. If you can push to the TS Optics ED as Robin recommends, all the better, these are well built very nice EP with optics that are a good step up. 

5 hours ago, Hapii said:

Do you know any good EP under 80$ ? 

4 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Hapii, the best all round eyepieces are the TS-Optics 1,25" ED Eyepieces, they have a 60º AFoV and have aound 15-18mm eye relief, at €94 they are a very competitive price 

If you mean the BST StarGuiders then €94 is $108, or £84...  

$80 is €70, or £62. 

HTH

5 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Hapii, the best all round eyepieces are the TS-Optics 1,25" ED Eyepieces, they have a 60º AFoV and have aound 15-18mm eye relief, at €94 they are a very competitive price found here: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c70_Eyepieces-1-25-inch-with-big-field.html

BTW, the Baader Hyperions should work well in your scope as it is not a fast scope. Good luck with your choices!

Are they not the same as BST Starguiders  at £47.00 ?:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

Are they not the same as BST Starguiders  at £47.00 ?:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bst-starguider-eyepieces.html

Hey i never saw those onces ! Because i looked mostly on astroshop.de. The BST starguiders actually seems perfect for me : good reviews overall (even in f/6 scopes), cheap, nice fov and nice eye relief ! 
That's it, i'm gonna get those ones for sure ! Thank you very much John !

Would you advice me to get the 12mm or the 8mm for planetary views ? it would give me x110 and x165 magnification respectivly on a 102mm aperture scope.
Wich one would be the more enjoyable you think ? 

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

there are probably no really bad eyepieces these days.   ?

Except those included with many department store scopes to get to 900x.  Those 4mm Ramsdens are generally regarded as atrocious.  Luckily, no one sells them separately. ?

13 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Except those included with many department store scopes to get to 900x.  Those 4mm Ramsdens are generally regarded as atrocious.  Luckily, no one sells them separately. ?

Almost!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-96-SR4-Symmetric-Ramsden-4mm-telescope-eyepiece/382227805538?hash=item58fe8d7562:g:nscAAOSwHqRZu6BJ:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

I do have a couple of these and provided that they are used in one of the long focus entry level refractors the image is good enough to excite a first timer looking at the Moon. It's when they are used in conjunction with the usual rubbish 3x Barlow that things go pearshape, literally.   ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/01/2019 at 12:11, rwilkey said:

Hi John, yes, they are the same, but as the OP lives in France I thought ordering from Germany might be easier.

FLO fournit également du matériel d’astronomie à la France ? 

1 hour ago, FLO said:

FLO fournit également du matériel d’astronomie à la France ? 

Sacre bleu!

Avez-vous voir le Code du Conduits? :evil4:

Official Language
English is the official language of our forums because it is the common language between our moderators and users. Because we can not moderate post/thread text in a foreign language, you may not post or have a signature in the forums in language other than English.

<edit> More seriously, it's ironic that people assume it's easier for folk in France to buy from Germany than the UK, given what is in the news at the moment!

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

More seriously, it's ironic that people assume it's easier for folk in France to buy from Germany than the UK, given what is in the news at the moment!

FWIW FLO supplies astronomy equipment to the majority of countries in the EU, and beyond. Ordering is easy and whatever happens next month won't change that. 

(Carefully written to stay within SGL's 'no politics' rule) ? 

Archived