Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

DeepSkyMan

Best CMOS Camera for 8” EdgeHD

Hi there folks, my EAA/AP ambitions got severely curtailed last year due to unforeseen domestic expenditure.  Moving into the new year, resolution renewed, I’m looking at investing in an EAA setup.  Had been thinking about the new Altair Hypercam 183c TEC cooled offering.  However on reading up it appears that the pixel size would not be a great match for the 8” Edge.  So, looking for some advice from you guys as to what the ideal camera would be to pair with the 8” EdgeHD.  Initial concentration will be on EAA however I would like to have the flexibility to move into a more traditional AP setup down the line.  Camera budget is £1000.

Kind Regards

Paul.

Go with the biggest pixels you can afford for EAA on such focal length.

Consider also binning if software of choice allows for that. With 2000mm focal length and for example this camera:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-294mc-pro-usb-30-cooled-colour-camera.html

(a bit over budget)

you will be at around 0.48"/pixel - too low for EAA, or even imaging for that matter. Since you are interested in color sensor - super pixel mode would bring that up to ~0.98"/pixel - but still low. Such resolutions are ok for best seeing conditions. Depending on sub exposure length you should not worry too much about mount performance - it just needs to be "smooth" over small periods (5-10s or for how long you plan to do single exposure).

It would be better to include focal reducer (x0.7 is matching one for Edge, I believe) - this will give you 1400mm FL and baseline resolution of 0.68"/pixel, or 1.36"/pixel - super pixel mode. Much better resolution. This will also increase FOV for larger selection of targets.

Another option would be to stick with 183c, but make sure your software supports the additional binning needed. In this case with focal reducer (again recommended) you will have:

- baseline resolution: ~0.35"/pixel (way too oversampled and hurting SNR).

- super pixel debayering: ~0.71"/pixel (again way to oversampled)

- then bin above: ~1.41"/pixel - this is good resolution for EAA

This is of course in case you can actually do the combination of super pixel debayering and binning in your EAA software. In the end you will be presented with image of your target that is 1360x912 pixels (minus crop for subs alignment of course).

• Like 1

Hi Paul

A fellow Glaswegian! I hope you are on the outskirts away from the worst of the lp? But doubt you can escape the clouds! Anyway, I'm afraid I've no personal experience of sct's though I imagine you'd need a reducer or hyperstar to do eaa. Eaa is something I've only recently started getting into and I've been mainly using an 80mm F6 frac to which I've very recently added a 0.8x reducer. I'm using a qhy Minicam5s mono which is essentially a cooled qhy5l-iim guide cam. Anyway, that gives me a fov of about 0.71 x 0.53 deg and about 2"/pixel which is ok. (I use this calculator). I've also used a SW finder guider with a gpcam v1 mono. That obviously gives a wider fov but the camera is uncooled. I'm using SharpCap Pro for image capture and there is a v3.2 beta out now. The software lets me do live stacking with master dark and flat subtraction so I generally get quite a clean image. I'd like to get a better camera myself and have been looking at the 183mm-pro or qhy equivalent. However, they are quite expensive for me and hard to justify. I guess you'd want something with big pixels. I've just noticed Vlaiv has posted a reply - he always knows what he's talking about! However, unless where you are you have access to dark skies then I'm not sure colour is the best idea since lp plays havoc and generally colour cameras aren't as sensitive as mono ones. The manufacturers seem a little coy about publishing colour sensor qe values - perhaps because they are less than the high qe's they like to use as a selling point. In any case you need to think about pixel scale - probably no less than 1"/pixel in the uk and - nearer 2"/pixel where I am! You could always try using just a lens instead of your Edge for eaa. Easier to match up a camera.

Louise