Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Vixen4eva

Cone Nebula area (limited data)

Hello

Took this a few nights ago. Wasn`t even sure i was pointing the camera in the right area!! Couldn`t really see anything in the subs and its took a bit of pushing to get anything to show but its there....... just 😎. This is a fantastic area of sky definitely coming back to this. Image taken with the following...

Canon 450D / Canon 200 mm f 2.8 USM @ f4 / Vixen Phototguider. 8 x 120 secs and 6 x 150 secs (all unguided) @ iso 800. Stacked with DSS with calibration frames. Processed with Photoshop.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Cone Nebula area 090119.jpg

• Like 9

I almost deleted the data!!! Just goes to show, you never know what you`ve got till you process it!!

Alan

4 minutes ago, Vixen4eva said:

I almost deleted the data!!! Just goes to show, you never know what you`ve got till you process it!!

Alan

Glad you didn’t delete it 😎

Stars look good, your polar alignment is obviously pretty close, so you could try even longer subs if you want more detail.  I take it your camera is not "modified" for astro-imaging.  

The 450D was/is a great little camera, still got mine.  It is too good an all-rounder so I never mucked around with mine.

Yes it is modded....... should have gone for longer exposures but as usual the weather had started to deteriorate, hence the limited subs.

Alan

Yes it's definitely there.  A bit small for your FOV and definitely needs longer exposures.  

Carole 

I always knew it would be tiny but this part of the sky has so much going on.....

Alan