SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Finally, everything fell into place for one night.

maw lod qan

We had a dry cold front push through two days ago. Dropped us into the 40's and have us with what pilots term CAVU!

I got out for an hour and a half last night and looked first at the moon. I could take it all the way to my 4mm eyepiece in my 8" dob. The features I could make out were amazing.

Turned to Orions's Nebula for a short while and it too was fantastic. Though it lacked the color I see in the photos members here post, the wispy cloud was great to behold.

Finally, I had to look again at Andromeda. The visibility was so much better that even though I struggled to see it well with my naked eyes due to my neighbors flood lights, once I had it in the scope I could see how enormous it is, where before I could hardly make out much more than the core unless I used averted vision.

Up early this morning I looked at Venus, still in its crescent state. Fighting lenses fogging, I looked at Jupiter and it's four large moons while hoping for a grand slam with Mercury. but alas, I've got trees that prevented that.

Still a good day off. Back to work Saturday, so it'll be back to bed at 7 tonight. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for Saturday night.

Good to hear you got out under the stars.. its a great feeling after its been a while. We had one night, which I could not make use of (typical). Its been a long while here!

Best Rob

I haven't touched my telescope in probably close to three months because I just haven't had the time and when I have had the time, it's cloudy. It's just been a miserable winter here except the last week or so. I keep saying I need to retire so I can get out my gear and stay up late whenever I want. Tonight though, the skies are supposed to be completely clear and the wind will be around 5mph. But it's going to be chilly ❄️ on the coast of Carolina! Looking forward to seeing Orion through my 12" dob again though. Glad you were able to get out yourself.

Pleased to read you managed to get out and enjoy some observing. 
Orion will never show the colour seen in photographers when viewed at the eyepiece, the most I have ever seen and that rarely is a slight green haze. 
When next you view M42 up the magnification to about 100x and observe the trapezium, you will easily see four stars and possibly 5/6. I attach a visual for you courtesy of @John

TRAPDIAG2.gif.d30921f8cafa55a4a92e582743427ba5.gif

Archived