Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

milkyjoe

My (rubbish) first image of Orion

Here is my first pathetic attempt at capturing the Orion nebula, lol

I used a Canon EOS M on a table top tripod for approx 10 seconds.

_MG_5721.jpg

• Like 11

Not at all sure about rubbish, Orion is very clearly there under difficult conditions!

That makes me feel a bit better, haha.

Some of the other users' images on here are incredible - their equipment must cost £1000s!  lol

🙂

17 minutes ago, milkyjoe said:

Some of the other users' images on here are incredible - their equipment must cost £1000s!  lol

🙂

And they take multiple images, of much longer exposure length, and combine them.  As noted above, for a single 10s sub this is pretty good and definitely shows a recognisable Orion.

Edited by RayD

There is nothing wrong or rubbish with that picture at all, keep going its great fun learning to capture images and there will be loads more to come i,m sure. all the best

Scott.

Thanks all. 😄

The upstairs bathroom light was on which sort of ruined my shot a little bit, lol.

RayD: what sort of equipment do they use?

Notice you have an EQ1 with RA drive, if you roughly polar align it you might get up to 30 seconds with the Canon attached ... take several images and stack with Deep sky stacker.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, milkyjoe said:

🙂

Fairly new to this myself as well but as stated earlier a nice image under difficult conditions.

And yes some of the images on here are incredible, and yes some of the equipment is tens of £1000's BUT many also achieve some incredible images with fairly modest outlay as well so do not underestimate what can be done on a reasonable budget.

Steve

Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to spend money to take nice photos Joe. Some people use fixed lens point and shoot cameras :)

When it come to imaging starscapes, there's very little a full size DSLR or Mirrorless can do that your M can't. I think I'm right saying the M has the cut down internals of the EOS 650 ? 

Dave.

One might say it is "rubbish" image of Orion nebula, but I think it's a lovely image of Orion constellation.

At this scale you should really concentrate on starry skies instead of trying to pick out small details. It is nice to see small objects scattered around the sky to appreciate their positions and relations to one another.

You should definitively try multiple exposures and stacking those - I think I can almost start to see Barnard's loop, and a bit more depth to the image would certainly show it.

• Like 1

Yeah good shot. You can see you were having to battle a bit with light pollution, but I like seeing the house in the bottom corner as it puts the constellation in context. Well done.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I will definitely keep at it, and most certainly will try the deep sky stacker program.

Light pollution is a big problem where I live, but I suspect others suffer too.  I live about an hour away from the Peak District so I might venture up there to dark skies 👍

Rick.

1 hour ago, knobby said:

Notice you have an EQ1 with RA drive, if you roughly polar align it you might get up to 30 seconds with the Canon attached ... take several images and stack with Deep sky stacker.

Unfortunately the mount is broken so I am unable to use it 😕

I've had my eye on one of these: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-114p-virtuoso.html

I know it's not best suited for photography, but I might give one a go just to see, and it's not that expensive at least. lol

Rick.

For just a bit more money you can have this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi-alt-az-mount-tripod.html

while first option comes with interesting little scope, second one will be able to hold your ST102, and it can work in EQ mode with suitable wedge - this would allow for much longer exposures I think (with short focal length lens, even few minutes).

Recently I've seen a thread where member uses AZ GTI and ST102 to do some EAA, so in principle it could also be used for imaging (with modest results, but I believe it would be doable).

Have a look:

Thanks vlaiv,

That looks very interesting, I guess I would need the tripod too (😋); would I need anything else such as a dovetail bar? 🤨

I like the idea of it being a full GO TO as well 😉

Rick.

30 minutes ago, milkyjoe said:

Thanks vlaiv,

That looks very interesting, I guess I would need the tripod too (😋); would I need anything else such as a dovetail bar? 🤨

I like the idea of it being a full GO TO as well 😉

Rick.

I guess your ST102 has one already (dovetail bar that is)?

For camera, you probably want L bracket for alt az mode, something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/skywatcher-l-bracket-dovetail.html

For using AZ GTI in EQ mode, you will need something like this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-equatorial-wedge-white.html

and few more accessories, probably this sort of bracket (can be used in AZ mode as well instead of above L bracket):

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-dovetail-l-bracket-green.html

Counterweight shaft + counterweight:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-counterweight-kit.html

And I think, I'm not certain for that one, screw adapter, because above counterweight shaft has smaller screw diameter than AZ GTI socket - this is something that you should look up if you decide to go in EQ mode at some point.

Depending on your budget, you can start of in AZ mode and limit your exposure time to avoid field rotation, and later if you wish to go longer exposures - add bits for EQ mode and do it like that.

I like the photo. The stars are sharp, the exposure is good and the subject recognisable. You also have more detail than is visible with the naked eye. 

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve just done a very quick edit on my phone - I’ve cropped the image to remove the distracting light on the left but left a bit of the roof line in to maintain some context. I’ve also done a very minor tweak (bearing in mind I am just using the standard editor in iOS photo app) to the contrast etc. 

Imo it just pulls the subject out a little more. 

0816CE26-A9E8-44E4-ACC9-DD24C8D163E4.jpeg

• Like 3

Don`t kick yourself, that`s a great first image, and being wide field it certainly shows it up to its full glory. Des

On 11/01/2019 at 20:02, dannybgoode said:

I like the photo. The stars are sharp, the exposure is good and the subject recognisable. You also have more detail than is visible with the naked eye. 

I hope you don’t mind but I’ve just done a very quick edit on my phone - I’ve cropped the image to remove the distracting light on the left but left a bit of the roof line in to maintain some context. I’ve also done a very minor tweak (bearing in mind I am just using the standard editor in iOS photo app) to the contrast etc. 

Imo it just pulls the subject out a little more. 

0816CE26-A9E8-44E4-ACC9-DD24C8D163E4.jpeg

That looks really good 😉

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 21:43, des anderson said:

Don`t kick yourself, that`s a great first image, and being wide field it certainly shows it up to its full glory. Des

Thanks 👍

I think the bathroom light adds ethereal mystery to the shot which makes it more interesting.  I suggest make a feature of it by including it in the picture. You might frame the image differently by chopping off the right hand side. ie ....

PS Apologies for taking liberties with your photograph.  

image.jpeg

No problem Ouroboros, it's nice to get honest feedback.

🙂

Usually we see zoomed in photos of M42 in the main, there's a real nice charm about seeing it from the perspective of a human's fov though, which this is. We can't render it unless we have a camera expose for a few seconds though.

If you take several 10 second shots and treat them same as typical astro images...with darks/flats etc. There is no reason you cannot make excellent images of wide field sky's.

Astrophotography is just a camera and a lens. Usually with a lens that has long focal length. Your just using a short focal length lens :)

And yes, your photo is not bad at all....just turn the bathroom light out next time ;)

Most of all ...Have fun :D